IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This was a problem in Java 1.02 as well
Which might say somtehing about the state of C#.

I recall there was a problem with 1.02 collecting Classes that the runtime thought were not needed. This resulted in expensively allocated singletons vanishing and inconvenient times and performance hits initializing all new singletons when they were referenced again.

Yes it sucked and was stupid. The workaround at the time was to launch the VM with --no-class-gc (something like that). I think this is now the default. Classes ought not to be subject to GC or ought to be held strongly by their ClassLoader (the latter is probably best).

Java is a joke, only it's not funny.

--Alan Lovejoy
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:10:26 AM EDT
New Re: This was a problem in Java 1.02 as well
Obviously, this was a problem with an earlier version of Java that does not have the problem any more (of course, you trade this problem for the new classloader problem of today).

However, I did not realize that .NET (the underlying CLR, I should say) had this same problem. Is this by design or just another bug? I wonder if it's still there as part of the 1.1 version of .NET. If so, I wonder how they will solve it (Java solved it by creating a parent/child relationship between classloaders, but this caused other problems).

Dan
New Could you elaborate on classloader problem?
<shame>I don't know what it is</shame>
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Re: Could you elaborate on classloader problem?
The basic issue is how the new (as in JDK 1.2 and more recent) classloaders work. Here's a good explanation of the issue here: [link|http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/javaqa/2003-06/01-qa-0606-load.html|http://www.javaworld...qa-0606-load.html]

Dan
New As the article says,
"Those class and resource loading strategies must be the most poorly documented and least specified area of J2SE."

Since I only deal with Java applications and applets, I normally don't encounter any of the problems described. But, it was an entertaining read. Thank you.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
     Java skills gap - (bluke) - (59)
         Re: Java skills gap - (deSitter) - (10)
             Believe me I know - (bluke) - (9)
                 Re: Believe me I know - (deSitter) - (8)
                     Makes sense, so it won't happen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Not so easy to find a savvy person either - (bluke) - (6)
                         Re: Not so easy to find a savvy person either - (deSitter) - (5)
                             Because HR screens resumes - (bluke) - (4)
                                 Definitely agree on that last point. - (admin) - (3)
                                     The best thing I ever did was learn Smalltalk - (bluke) - (2)
                                         I dont know, but as long as they bathe regular I dont mind - (boxley)
                                         Great interview question: - (admin)
         I am afraid there is even more - (Arkadiy) - (45)
             This is why I am not a big fan of IDE's - (bluke) - (44)
                 Disagree slightly. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                     GUI IDEs just get in my way - (admin) - (1)
                         I hate doing UI's. - (mmoffitt)
                     Intelij is a perfect example - (bluke) - (40)
                         Funny, I've found Java itself "awful" :-) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (39)
                             It is, but IntelliJ makes it less miserable -NT - (tuberculosis)
                             It all depends on where you are coming from - (bluke) - (37)
                                 Re: It all depends on where you are coming from - (deSitter) - (36)
                                     Two letters: GC - (Arkadiy) - (35)
                                         So? - (deSitter) - (30)
                                             GC is totally worth it and can be *more* efficient - (tuberculosis) - (29)
                                                 Ok I'll accept that - (deSitter)
                                                 I like ObjectiveC's memory management. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Its sort of NGC - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                         Kinda tedious, but not really. - (admin)
                                                 Reigning in the beast - (jb4) - (24)
                                                     Whoa - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                         "Partially persistant" things happen all of the time - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                             I am confused totally - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                 Its the heap - (tuberculosis)
                                                                 You can't use the stack for a lot of things - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                     Re: You can't use the stack for a lot of things - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                         A good design is a good design... -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     Ah, I see... - (admin) - (3)
                                                         OK, OK,...Fair enough - (jb4) - (2)
                                                             The world is full of less-than-adequate programmers - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                 And plain ol' automation is the mechanism - (FuManChu)
                                                     Don't get it. - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                                         Circular references and Class GC - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                             Still don't get it... - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                                                 I guess now I do - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                                     Think singleton - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                         Translate into non comp-sci jargon? -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                             Singleton is a pattern - (tuberculosis)
                                                                             Translation - (ben_tilly)
                                                     This was a problem in Java 1.02 as well - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                         Re: This was a problem in Java 1.02 as well - (dshellman) - (3)
                                                             Could you elaborate on classloader problem? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 Re: Could you elaborate on classloader problem? - (dshellman) - (1)
                                                                     As the article says, - (Arkadiy)
                                         what does Guitar Center have to do with this? :) -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                                             Re: what does Guitar Center have to do with this? :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 Yes, and in the hands of a Master - (jb4)
                                         Java has gonorrhea? Or Java == gonorrhea? I'd buy either. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         I question the source - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Agree - marketing angle is obvious - (tuberculosis)

I'm trying to be scientific about the ineffable and all you can think of is your schwantz.
138 ms