IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The best thing I ever did was learn Smalltalk
and do real development in it for 3 years. It changed my perspective on everything. I also took a programming languages in grad school which also at least introduced me to some other paradigms. These kinds of things really expand your thinking. For example, most of the Java programmers that I work(ed) with find absolutely nothing wrong with primitive types, they don't even realize that other languages have no such concept and that this might be a good idea.

When I used to interview people for Java programming positions one of the questions I used to ask was "Do you think primitive types are a good thing in Java?" If they could at least explain the issues involved it showed that they had some understanding of things. You wouldn't believe how many people did not understand the question.
New I dont know, but as long as they bathe regular I dont mind
did I get the job? :-)
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Great interview question:
What don't you like about [programming language]?

If they haven't thought about it enough to find the warts, they don't know it well enough. No language is perfect.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Java skills gap - (bluke) - (59)
         Re: Java skills gap - (deSitter) - (10)
             Believe me I know - (bluke) - (9)
                 Re: Believe me I know - (deSitter) - (8)
                     Makes sense, so it won't happen. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Not so easy to find a savvy person either - (bluke) - (6)
                         Re: Not so easy to find a savvy person either - (deSitter) - (5)
                             Because HR screens resumes - (bluke) - (4)
                                 Definitely agree on that last point. - (admin) - (3)
                                     The best thing I ever did was learn Smalltalk - (bluke) - (2)
                                         I dont know, but as long as they bathe regular I dont mind - (boxley)
                                         Great interview question: - (admin)
         I am afraid there is even more - (Arkadiy) - (45)
             This is why I am not a big fan of IDE's - (bluke) - (44)
                 Disagree slightly. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                     GUI IDEs just get in my way - (admin) - (1)
                         I hate doing UI's. - (mmoffitt)
                     Intelij is a perfect example - (bluke) - (40)
                         Funny, I've found Java itself "awful" :-) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (39)
                             It is, but IntelliJ makes it less miserable -NT - (tuberculosis)
                             It all depends on where you are coming from - (bluke) - (37)
                                 Re: It all depends on where you are coming from - (deSitter) - (36)
                                     Two letters: GC - (Arkadiy) - (35)
                                         So? - (deSitter) - (30)
                                             GC is totally worth it and can be *more* efficient - (tuberculosis) - (29)
                                                 Ok I'll accept that - (deSitter)
                                                 I like ObjectiveC's memory management. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                                                     Its sort of NGC - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                         Kinda tedious, but not really. - (admin)
                                                 Reigning in the beast - (jb4) - (24)
                                                     Whoa - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                         "Partially persistant" things happen all of the time - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                             I am confused totally - (boxley) - (4)
                                                                 Its the heap - (tuberculosis)
                                                                 You can't use the stack for a lot of things - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                     Re: You can't use the stack for a lot of things - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                                         A good design is a good design... -NT - (ben_tilly)
                                                     Ah, I see... - (admin) - (3)
                                                         OK, OK,...Fair enough - (jb4) - (2)
                                                             The world is full of less-than-adequate programmers - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                                                 And plain ol' automation is the mechanism - (FuManChu)
                                                     Don't get it. - (Arkadiy) - (7)
                                                         Circular references and Class GC - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                                             Still don't get it... - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                                                                 I guess now I do - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                                     Think singleton - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                                         Translate into non comp-sci jargon? -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                             Singleton is a pattern - (tuberculosis)
                                                                             Translation - (ben_tilly)
                                                     This was a problem in Java 1.02 as well - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                                         Re: This was a problem in Java 1.02 as well - (dshellman) - (3)
                                                             Could you elaborate on classloader problem? - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                 Re: Could you elaborate on classloader problem? - (dshellman) - (1)
                                                                     As the article says, - (Arkadiy)
                                         what does Guitar Center have to do with this? :) -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                                             Re: what does Guitar Center have to do with this? :) - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                 Yes, and in the hands of a Master - (jb4)
                                         Java has gonorrhea? Or Java == gonorrhea? I'd buy either. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         I question the source - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Agree - marketing angle is obvious - (tuberculosis)

Everything is chromed in the future!
93 ms