IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Drag-and-drop a few components, set a few properties, and...
..."hey presto!", you're done?

THAT is the definition of what a real RAD IDE is.

Borland C++ may have been a great IDE, but it certainly wasn't a RAD one.

And Paradox for Windows, which I've never really used(*), didn't live up to the definition of RAD either, AFAICR. And even if I remember wrong -- which is quite possible(*) -- and it DID live up to the definition of RAD, I'm fairly certain VB predates it by quite a bit.

And, sorry, Chris, but I rather doubt what you're talking about regarding Smalltalk was really a RAD IDE either.

(Now look what you've made me do, you bastards -- I'm defending M$ "innovations"! Eeuurgh, I feel all dirty...)

(*): I think I opened it once or twice, at my previous job, on someone else's machine.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New Wrong on Paradox
VB didnt come out until after foxpro and foxpro was an intended clone of paradox.
thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Paradox -for Windows- != Paradox. PfW published ~199...4?
New Janvier 1993
[link|http://perso.club-internet.fr/brouardf/PdoxHist.htm|http://perso.club-in...ardf/PdoxHist.htm]
--
Chris Altmann
New History of Visual Basic
[link|http://www.mackido.com/History/History_VB.html|http://www.mackido.c...y/History_VB.html]
I so enjoy this part
"VisualBasic = MacBasic + Hypercard"
followed by
Inside of Microsoft it was a common "joke" to call Apple "R&D south", because of how many of their ideas they got directly from Apple. The thing that astounds me, and many other people in the know, is how often MS gets credit for things they did not create. MS doesn't usually even do a good job of copying other peoples ideas, and yet they get credit for it.

thanx,
bill
when I was young I envisioned myself as the embodiment of Trinity, Now I realize I have turned into the Bambino
New A "history" devoid of dates. So: When was VB v. 1 released?
Betcha it was before, not after, Paradox for Windows.

You could of course still try to salvage Ross' argument by claiming that Paradox not-for-Windows was a RAD IDE... Any takers?

Naah, I thaught not.

You know you're doing good work when you get flamed by an idiot. -- [link|http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/35/34218.html|Andrew Wittbrodt]
New VB 1 was a dos product was it not? I thought VB for windows
was released after Access, that was after paradox for windows. Hafta dig for dates.
thanx,
bill
New Thats Quick Basic - VB 1.x was around 1993
Paradox had a fully developed general purpose Windows programming enviroment with codable widgets as early as 1992 with Paradox 4 and Borland C++ 3 with Object Windows Library (OWL, MFC done right). It was miles beyond MS dev tools.

Edit: Note that the original VB for Windows did not sport a version number at all, but internally was called 3.x to match Windows 3.x and Windows NT, which was also born as 3.1 - this scam was pulled over and over again by MS. The first release of VB "as we know it" was around the same time as Windows NT 3.1 - so I'd say 1993 Spring. Again, by this time Borland C++ for Windows with OWL was already capable of making 32-bit flat memory model programs to run on Windows NT. There was utterly no comparison in quality of development tools. I well remember my astonishment to realize that a year's worth of Paradox visual programming had all been done in a dead idiom, as Visual Basic was being touted as "revolutionary" product in the media - my first inkling at how biased the media were to Microsoft.

Again and again Microsoft has propped up its monopoly by getting to developers first - it's Windows programmers more than anyone else who have handed them their monopoly. The PHB phase came later, far after the release of Windows 95. In the early to mid 90s competition was possible and sanity was an achieveable goal.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 21, 2004, 08:34:11 PM EST
Expand Edited by deSitter March 21, 2004, 08:46:50 PM EST
New That's all well and good... But it wasn't a RAD IDE.
Ross insists:
Thats Quick Basic - VB 1.x was around 1993
1991, as per Alex' history; of course, that's when it was "introduced", and MS was at the time well known for the long gaps between "introducing" something and that something actually appearing on the market... (a reputation they may have shaken off, somewhat, in the mean time; but now seem set to rapidly regain with the "Longhorn" delays) ...but I remember seeing it in use in Sweden in, uh, fall 1992 IIRC.

(Actually, there *was* also a "VB for DOS" product, but AFAICR that appeared after VB for Windows; ~1992, '93, or thereabouts? It was quietly dropped not long afterwards, AFAICT.)

(Incidentally, this all was long after I'd begun dreaming of an IDE from Borland that would unite their Turbo Pascal with the then recently-bought DBase and the drag-and-drop ease of use I'd read so much about from Microsoft; ca 1991... We all know what happened: They eventually met and surpassed my dreams, with the introduction of Delphi -- but by then, it was too late; MS were already too entrenched, and getting ever more so, on the market with VB and Access. Borland missed the boat by at least two or three years.)

Paradox had a fully developed general purpose Windows programming enviroment with codable widgets as early as 1992 with Paradox 4 and Borland C++ 3 with Object Windows Library (OWL, MFC done right). It was miles beyond MS dev tools.
Sure, sure -- but it was NOT, neither Paradox 4 or Borland C++ 3 / OWL, a RAD IDE, no fucking way.

Just be a man and fucking admit they weren't, willya?!?

Edit: Note that the original VB for Windows did not sport a version number at all, but internally was called 3.x to match Windows 3.x and Windows NT, which was also born as 3.1 - this scam was pulled over and over again by MS. The first release of VB "as we know it" was around the same time as Windows NT 3.1 - so I'd say 1993 Spring. Again, by this time Borland C++ for Windows with OWL was already capable of making 32-bit flat memory model programs to run on Windows NT. There was utterly no comparison in quality of development tools.
Quite right, and I wouldn't dream of disputing this for a second.

But there was also no comparison in ease of use and speed of development, because Borland C++ for Windows wasn't a RAD IDE.

Just be a man and fucking admit that already.

I well remember my astonishment to realize that a year's worth of Paradox visual programming had all been done in a dead idiom, as Visual Basic was being touted as "revolutionary" product in the media - my first inkling at how biased the media were to Microsoft.
Seems to be about the same time I noticed the same thing.

Again and again Microsoft has propped up its monopoly by getting to developers first - it's Windows programmers more than anyone else who have handed them their monopoly. The PHB phase came later, far after the release of Windows 95. In the early to mid 90s competition was possible and sanity was an achieveable goal.
Yep -- just think, how TOTALLY different the world could look today, if Borland hadn't dropped the ball and introduced Delphi too late. Seriously.

Even more: If, instead of killing off Borland C++ for OS/2, they'd have followed up Delphi for Windows, "introduced in late 1991 / early 1992" (in my dream world), with a Delphi for OS/2 the year after, then where would Microsoft be now...? OTOH, it's pretty doubtful IBM would have become the good corporate citizen it seems to be at the moment, if *they* had been the ones with a near-monopoly on PC systems... So, never mind.

New Re: That's all well and good... But it wasn't a RAD IDE.
Well, compared to dicking with the bare API, which I did when learning Windows programming out of Petzold, OWL was indeed "rapid", although I'll agree from what little experience I have with Delphi, not as thorough-going. Paradox, however, was genuine READ (rapid-enough) - the main time consumer was designing the database - attaching forms and controls and customizing with PAL (precursor to the Object Pascal) was very easy. Access did not reach the usability of Paradox until the late 90s, fully 7 years behind Paradox.

-drl
New If you define RAD as usable
then it was 95 before MS had anything barely useful and that was access. Paradox was useful long before that.
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
New More history.
[link|http://www.johnsmiley.com/visualbasic/vbhistory.htm|The History of Visual Basic].
March 1988---Microsoft Buys Tripod

Alan Cooper, the 'father' of Visual Basic, shows a drag-and-drop shell prototype called Tripod to Bill Gates. Microsoft negotiates to buy the concept, now code-named Ruby. The Tool includes a widget control box, the ability to add widgets dynamically, and a small language engine.

o o o

March 20, 1991---VB1 Debuts at Windows World

Microsoft marries QuickBasic to Ruby shell app and gives it a new code name: Thunder. The result is the first tool that lets you create Windows appos quickly, easily, and visually. Features include a drag-and=drop control toolbox, codeless UI creation, and an event-oriented programming model.
Alex

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom ... the argument of tyrants ... the creed of slaves. -- William Pitt, addressing the British House of Commons (1783)
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x March 21, 2004, 08:48:28 PM EST
New FoxPro clone of Paradox?
Get real!

I only touched Paradox lightky, but from what I remember, FoxPro (I worked with 2.0) was heads and shoulders above Paradox in IDE and language. dBase done right - that's what it was.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

--Alan Cooper. The Inmates Are Running the Asylum
New Re: FoxPro clone of Paradox?
Both Fox and Paradox were DOS databases that competed with dBASE.

1) Visual FoxPro did not show up until Paradox was a memory (in practice)

2) FoxPro for Windows was just a GUI terminal for executing dBASE code.

3) Paradox for Windows 4.5 was already out in 1993 and had very advanced features for a desktop database that nothing could touch. I know I was there.
-drl
New I worked with DOS FoxPro
Unlike Paradox, its language was slightly extended but very recognizable dBase.

And the interplay between language and UI was uite extensive. A form was saved and could be edited as a language statement, or you could use property editors, drag-and-drop and code snippets. All that in text mode. Very nifty.
--

Less Is More. In my book, About Face, I introduce over 50 powerful design axioms. This is one of them.

New Re: I worked with DOS FoxPro
"All that in text mode..very nifty"

Sure, for dBASE development it was nifty. Paradox was fully object-based and PAL was at least as OOP as was VB sometime later. Paradox was a real Windows event-driven programming/database tool and should have - WOULD have - changed the world if not for Microsoft's horrible behavior. Insofar as it set the mold for all the "Visual" tools that showed up later, it DID change the world - and Borland gets no credit.
-drl
New spent a lot of time with Foxpro 2.0
wrote a lot of apps, maintained others, it was both fast and flakey. Dbase IV was a lot more stable but they stopped improving it and it fell by the wayside. Paradox was miles ahead of both.
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
New Flakey indeed
I used a stolen version in Russia. No support of any kind, no docs. Try before you die.
--

New DevGuide for OpenWindows 2
Not that you've ever heard of it, DOS-boi :-D

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Home Page - Now with added Zing!]
     That reminds me... - (CRConrad) - (21)
         Re: That reminds me... - (deSitter) - (20)
             And many of the ideas for Borland - (ChrisR)
             Drag-and-drop a few components, set a few properties, and... - (CRConrad) - (18)
                 Wrong on Paradox - (boxley) - (16)
                     Paradox -for Windows- != Paradox. PfW published ~199...4? -NT - (CRConrad) - (9)
                         Janvier 1993 - (altmann)
                         History of Visual Basic - (boxley) - (7)
                             A "history" devoid of dates. So: When was VB v. 1 released? - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                 VB 1 was a dos product was it not? I thought VB for windows - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Thats Quick Basic - VB 1.x was around 1993 - (deSitter) - (3)
                                         That's all well and good... But it wasn't a RAD IDE. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                             Re: That's all well and good... But it wasn't a RAD IDE. - (deSitter)
                                             If you define RAD as usable - (boxley)
                             More history. - (a6l6e6x)
                     FoxPro clone of Paradox? - (Arkadiy) - (5)
                         Re: FoxPro clone of Paradox? - (deSitter) - (2)
                             I worked with DOS FoxPro - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                 Re: I worked with DOS FoxPro - (deSitter)
                         spent a lot of time with Foxpro 2.0 - (boxley) - (1)
                             Flakey indeed - (Arkadiy)
                 DevGuide for OpenWindows 2 - (pwhysall)

Note: this is not exactly the safest place for your hand.
241 ms