IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Men, you can leave now.
Your services [link|http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_430602.html?menu=news.latestheadlines|are no longer needed].
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New I don't think so.
Self reproduction is degenerative. Defects are reproduced and accumulate until the offspring are non-functional. Doesn't take long in complex critters. Non-sexual reproduction doesn't get a whole lot farther than algae and single celled critters that divide.

Some insects can do it for brief periods. Interestingly, in some insects that do self-reproduce, all offspring are male. I presume this is to assure the next generation will be mostly sexually reproduced (presuming enough sexually reproduced females to make a next generation possible).

Evolution beyond algae is heavily dependent on variability and sexual combination.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New So you think we still have a chance...
...to evolve beyond algae?
--
New It's tough competition . .
. . but I think we can do it!
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Um, not quite
Self-reproduction is not degenerative in the slightest. It is just that you cannot evolve quickly in response to your surroundings. With sexual reproduction a population can evolve to the limits of their genetic variation on short notice (a few generations), and then recover that variation when nothing big is going on. Asexual populations can't recombine genetically, and so are at a disadvantage responding to changes in their environment, but they can evolve much more precisely to their environment than sexual species who lose a certain number to genetic defects.

But you are correct that the research would not immediately work for humans. We, being a sexual species, have a lot of lethal recessives. If you start self-reproducing, that will bring a lot of them out. You can think of the result as the child of severe incest, worst case scenario.

However if you could combine 2 eggs, that would work just fine. Lesbians everywhere would rejoice, and the male parasite (yes, I suspect that males arose as parasites on a hermaphroditic population) would be eliminated from the picture...

Cheers,
Ben
New Isn't there a lizard
species comprised of only females? IIRC, they produce fertile eggs w/o males...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Wow...
Planet of Women....

The place of Karsten's dreams!
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New What's that old allegory about the one-eyed...
...snake in the land of the blondes?
--
New I thought you were talking about petey
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New Holy Mary, Mother of God! :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New I wish these people
would knock it off so and get back to fucking around.
     Men, you can leave now. - (kmself) - (10)
         I don't think so. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             So you think we still have a chance... - (kmself) - (1)
                 It's tough competition . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Um, not quite - (ben_tilly)
             Isn't there a lizard - (imric)
         Wow... - (bepatient) - (2)
             What's that old allegory about the one-eyed... - (kmself) - (1)
                 I thought you were talking about petey -NT - (boxley)
         Holy Mary, Mother of God! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         I wish these people - (tuberculosis)

Home of the sash-swinging flasher!
95 ms