IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: How do you pronounce that, again?
Word of the Day for Thursday May 27, 1999:

chthonic (THONE-ik), adjective:
dwelling in or under the earth; also, pertaining to the underworld

"Driven by d\ufffdmonic, chthonic Powers." --T.S. Eliot

"The chthonic divinity was essentially a god of the regions under the earth; at first of the dark home of the seed, later on of the still darker home of the dead." --C. F. Keary

"The chthonic imagery of Norine's apartment, which..was black as a coalhole and heated by the furnace of the hostess' unslaked desires." --M. McCarthy

"Two great and contrasted forms of ritual: the Olympian and the Chthonic, the one a ritual of cheerful character, the other a ritual of gloom, and fostering superstition."

From dictionary.com

Regards,
Hugh
New I see...so the 'ch' is silent as in "fred"...
All smart-assness aside, thanks for tracking that down.

It does, however, reinforce my premise that we will never achieve western-European levels of literacy in the English-speaking world until we bite the bullet and "regularize" english spelling. It is entirely possible that this is the only case of a silent 'ch' en the entire English language.
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New yacht
Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
New Fair enough...
...I shoulda said: The only word in English that starts with a silent 'ch'.
jb4
New Yer rite :-)
At least as far as I know (pedantic soul that I am). And I think yacht is the only word containing a silent ch that doesn't start with the ch.
Don Richards,
Proud recipient of the ABBA.
New Cthulhu._________________________OK OK but it's close! :-\ufffd
New :-\ufffd yerself!
jb4
New Uhmm... I think you're overlooking something:
(That's pretty much the exact opposite of "overseeing", BTW! :-)   Jim Bea...ushmill:
...we will never achieve western-European levels of literacy in the English-speaking world until we bite the bullet and "regularize" english spelling.
Speaking of "western-European" -- isn't that exactly what the English are?!?

And *they* can reed and right English!

So that ain't it.
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Yabut, so can we...equally poorly!
In fact, they still can't spell color or defense or theater or specialize...

;-)
jb4
New "emote muah" ...
(The LRPD is being contrary: "RESISTANCE IS USELESS!")
New Not so! Below: "We are the superior beings!"
New Reredundunduncey --
Robert A. Heinlein suggested that one of the attributes of a successful society is a certain amount of looseness in the corners.

The contradictoriness of the English language (in which, as noted, overlooking and overseeing mean something quite different, whereas fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing) gives us all much to think about, even in ordinary discourse. Selection among multitudes of synonyms, and the occasional oddball word like chthonic, give English speakers a certain... flexibility. Rather poetic, in a way.

I've considered for years that one of the reasons English is successful over French is that, when it came time to write dictionaries, ours was compiled by a choleric, disorganized party animal, whereas the French appointed a Government commission.
Regards,
Ric
New Besides, English in some ways includes French.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Same ideas in David Brin's work.
The idea that a flexible language is a key differentiator between creative, growing cultures and stodgy, inflexible unchanging ones.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: Reredundunduncey --
Don't misunderstand...I agree with you completely.

I just wish we'd figger out how to spell this creative masterpiece we've created/discovered/inherited.
jb4
New Brin is part of where I got the idea
but more a matter of ... phraseology and word choice :-)

And yes, English includes French as a subset. Likewise German -- I have German friends who insist that English is just badly-pronounced German.

I once listened to some Germans trying to invent a proper Deutsche phrase for "vignetting", meaning in this case the effect that shows up in wide-angle lenses, where the edge of the photo is less exposed than the center; caused by more glass in the light path, plus greater distance from the lens to film on the edges than the center. They hashed it over for several minutes. Finally I told them to adopt the English-language custom of linguistic imperialism -- if you need a word, and somebody else has it, expropriate the sucker!

And isn't it interesting that except for "bed", furniture -- sofa, divan, pillow, others -- is Arabic?
Regards,
Ric
New Thanks for the nod. :)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
     Evil Evildoers Of Evil - (kmself) - (35)
         Observation. - (bepatient) - (13)
             Seems a remarkably consistent observation - (Ashton)
             But the country isn't a business. - (Brandioch) - (3)
                 You I'll respond to... - (bepatient) - (2)
                     Well hell, if *That's* all you meant, - (Ashton)
                     Check the government. - (Brandioch)
             Old line: - (admin) - (4)
                 You mean... - (static) - (1)
                     Most capable, most interested in, etc. :-) -NT - (admin)
                 Someone commented... - (addison) - (1)
                     So scary. -NT - (static)
             What was that hierarchy...? - (jb4) - (2)
                 Maslow possibly? - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                     No, that wasn't it... - (jb4)
         Whew.. there for a few days I thought, - (Ashton) - (1)
             On the subject of flags - (boxley)
         Ha - (deSitter)
         How do you pronounce that, again? - (jb4) - (17)
             Re: How do you pronounce that, again? - (hnick) - (16)
                 I see...so the 'ch' is silent as in "fred"... - (jb4) - (14)
                     yacht -NT - (Silverlock) - (4)
                         Fair enough... - (jb4) - (3)
                             Yer rite :-) - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                 Cthulhu._________________________OK OK but it's close! :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     :-\ufffd yerself! -NT - (jb4)
                     Uhmm... I think you're overlooking something: - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         Yabut, so can we...equally poorly! - (jb4) - (2)
                             "emote muah" ... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Not so! Below: "We are the superior beings!" -NT - (Ashton)
                     Reredundunduncey -- - (Ric Locke) - (4)
                         Besides, English in some ways includes French. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Same ideas in David Brin's work. - (admin)
                         Re: Reredundunduncey -- - (jb4) - (1)
                             Brin is part of where I got the idea - (Ric Locke)
                 Thanks for the nod. :) -NT - (tseliot)

Enthusiasm substituting for real talent.
77 ms