IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How the slippery slope works
[link|http://www.iaetf.org/orr299.htm|Cutting through the doublespeak]

Excerpt:

Fifteen people in Oregon, we are told, legally committed suicide with the assistance of their doctors in l998. According to the report, not one of them was forced into the act by intractable pain or suffering. Rather, those who died had strong personal beliefs in individual autonomy, and chose suicide based primarily on fears of future dependence.

That isn't how assisted suicide was supposed to work. For many years, we have been told repeatedly by advocates that assisted suicide is to be a "last resort," applied only when nothing else can be done to alleviate "unrelenting and intolerable suffering."

Yet pain wasn't a factor in a single one of the Oregon suicides. Thus, rather than being a limited procedure performed out of extreme medical urgency, legalization in Oregon has actually widened the category of conditions for which physician-hastened death is seen as legitimate.

Another excerpt:

The first woman to commit assisted suicide in Oregon had a 2 1/2 week relationship with the doctor who wrote her lethal prescription. Her own doctor had refused to assist her suicide, as had a second doctor who diagnosed her with depression. So she went to an advocacy group, which referred her to a doctor willing to do the deed.

Hers was not a unique case. The report states that six of the 15 people sought lethal prescriptions from two or more doctors.

Assisted suicide proponents told us this wouldn't happen either. They promised that assisted suicide would only occur after a deep exploration of values between patients and doctors who had long-term relationships.

Thanks to the study, we now know that death decisions are being made by doctors the patients barely know. This isn't careful medical practice; it is rampant Kevorkianism.

The study is as notable for what it omits as for what it includes. Information about the people who committed assisted suicide came from death-prescribing doctors. Treating doctors who did not participate in their patients' deaths -- professionals who could have provided invaluable information about the health of the people who died -- were not interviewed. Nor were the doctors who refused to write lethal prescriptions. Family members were not contacted either.

I say:

The slippery slope is lubricated by selective information and short memories.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New OK, let's talk about a slippery slope
Excerpt:

Fifteen people in Oregon, we are told, legally committed suicide with the assistance of their doctors in l998. According to the report, not one of them was forced into the act by intractable pain or suffering. Rather, those who died had strong personal beliefs in individual autonomy, and chose suicide based primarily on fears of future dependence.

That isn't how assisted suicide was supposed to work. For many years, we have been told repeatedly by advocates that assisted suicide is to be a "last resort," applied only when nothing else can be done to alleviate "unrelenting and intolerable suffering."

Yet pain wasn't a factor in a single one of the Oregon suicides. Thus, rather than being a limited procedure performed out of extreme medical urgency, legalization in Oregon has actually widened the category of conditions for which physician-hastened death is seen as legitimate.

If I may:

Well over fifteen women nationwide (don't have exact figures; I'm sure that the numbers are orders of magnitude greater), we are told, legally had voluntary mastectomies preformed with the assistance of their doctors in l998. According to the report, not one of them was forced into the act by a diagnosis of breast cancer. Rather, those who submitted to the procedures had strong personal beliefs in individual autonomy, and chose the procedure based primarily on fears of future cancer.

That isn't how mastectomy was supposed to work. For many years, we have been told repeatedly by advocates that a mastectomy is to be a "last resort," applied only when nothing else can be done to alleviate "unrelenting and intolerable breast cancer."

Yet cancer wasn't a factor in a single one of the voluntary mastectomies. Thus, rather than being a limited procedure performed out of extreme medical urgency, the medical profession has actually widened the category of conditions for which voluntary mastectomy is seen as legitimate.

Hmmmm...
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Er....
you don't seriously mean to suggest a moral equivalence here, do you?

Or are you one of those people who see a woman as nothing more than a pair of tits? No wait. Then you could only sanction assisted suicide when done to females.

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New I think you know better.
He's talking about the form of the argument.

The anti-assisted-suicide argument is a poor one as presented. And the site you linked originally doesn't seem to (, to me anyway, ) support your contention that there's a "death culture and pressure to suicide".

Cheers,
Scott.
New Argument? What argument?
I didn't present any argument. I pointed to the existence of the slippery slope. Look, there it is.

You're acting like a small child who won't admit the milk has been spilled. "Look at all the spilled milk on the floor!" I say. "That's a weak argument" you say.
New You're pointing to invisible pink unicorns.
For someone who prides himself on looking at evidence and probabilities and shades of gray, you don't seem to be doing that in this case.

You've presented slanted, anecdotal discussions of topics which many regard as highly inflammatory. The cites list 3rd-person interpretations of people's frame of mind. That's supposed to be evidence? Unattributed quotes presented with no context is supposed to be evidence? Unattributed paraphrases are supposed to be evidence?

One can point to anecdotal evidence on almost any topic in an attempt to support almost any proposition. That doesn't mean that the proposition is logically supportable.

You've not presented evidence of a "slippery slope", nor of a "death culture and pressure to suicide" IMO. If you have evidence, or a logical discussion on the topic in your own words, I'd like to see it. Your cites don't seem to me to relate to the things you discussed in the starting post in this thread.

Your trolling isn't working to well in this case, if that's your intent. I'm disappointed that you seemingly can't support your position better.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Careful there.
The trouble with cheap dismissals like that is they work both ways.

I see your pink unicorn and raise you one willful refusal to understand.

New Re: You're pointing to invisible pink unicorns.
One can point to anecdotal evidence on almost any topic in an attempt to support almost any proposition. That doesn't mean that the proposition is logically supportable.

Which is, of course, what I was trying to do. (And thank you, Scott, for recognizing it. For at least one person here, reading is a skill that has been mastered.)
jb4
New Puh-LEEZE!
jb4
New Definitely an interesting article.
Interesting excerpt...

They also note that dependency is an issue primarily for people who are not actually dependent, and that like other difficulties in life, dependency is a circumstance to which people adjust with time.

Very interesting. They're telling me I'll adjust to it in time. Don't worry about what I think, it'll be fine.

I don't know if I like being told what to think.
     Help me, I've been politicized! - (marlowe) - (20)
         Well... - (bepatient)
         Enlightenment comes from within. :-) - (Another Scott) - (16)
             Death culture and the pressure to suicide - (marlowe) - (15)
                 Thanks. - (Another Scott)
                 I don't see the connection.... - (Another Scott) - (13)
                     Thanks. Saved trouble - I go with your rebuttal too. -NT - (Ashton)
                     You're missing the point by a mile - (marlowe)
                     How the slippery slope works - (marlowe) - (9)
                         OK, let's talk about a slippery slope - (jb4) - (7)
                             Er.... - (marlowe) - (6)
                                 I think you know better. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                     Argument? What argument? - (marlowe) - (3)
                                         You're pointing to invisible pink unicorns. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Careful there. - (marlowe)
                                             Re: You're pointing to invisible pink unicorns. - (jb4)
                                 Puh-LEEZE! -NT - (jb4)
                         Definitely an interesting article. - (Simon_Jester)
                     The joy of assisted suicide - (marlowe)
         Irish blood will out. - (boxley)
         Too Serious - (deSitter)

While they were doing that I walked over to a place called the Oyster Bar - a real dive. But I knew the owner; he used to play for the Dolphins. I said, "HI GILL!" (You have to yell; he's hard of herring...)
87 ms