IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Disagree. He serves a purpose here
In another place you opined that Bush's popularity was dropping and that there was about to be a shift. I have my doubts. In addition to the inbred idiots and the whackos that think Jesus wants YOU to vote for George, there are also a lot of Marlows out there. Intelligent, fascile, bellicose, and able to spin events to support this "white man's burden" bullshit.
We don't get that many idiots at IWETHEY (no, really, trust me on this), or even seriously religous whackos, and there isn't much we could do with them in any event. It doesn't matter, because while they can't be influenced, they don't influence much either.
Marlows, on the other paw, can influence others. Rather than telling him to go away, we should be regarding him as a valuable resource. If we don't know how to counter the Marlow effect, we are going to be looking at another 4 years of that goat-roper Bush, which could be terminal for the country. We should be thinking of Marlow as our own virus, from which to engineer a vaccine. If we ignore him and hope he goes away, he will be back after the election, gloating.
New Just curious (new thread)
Created as new thread #139561 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=139561|Just curious]

"To become different from what we are, we must have some awareness of what we are."
Eric Hoffer
New Re: Disagree. He serves a purpose here
At this point it's not generative of anyting but irritation. Some summer days when the skeeters are biting you can ignore it and say "that's life near the river" - other days they drive you nuts and you go inside.
-drl
New I don't know...
He is irritating. His points are made on frivilous or ridiculous premises, mostly binary in nature. There is going to be a lot of that shit around in the next 9 months, at a minimum.
Outsiders, reading this through Google or such, may have the impression that we CAN'T counter him. I am much less confident about the outcome of the next election to dismiss this easily.
In the past, I have been writing answers to his posts, and then hitting the back button to improve the SNR. I think that I will cease this practice in the future. Since I am not the most elequent writer on this board (I may be a candidate for the IWETHEY community idiot) it would be nice to have some support on this. Either way, I will do as I please. Comments about feeding the troll may be answered rudely or ignored as my mood takes me.
New Since you said all that
I've been wondering what would happen if we just tried to talk to him? I don't mean debate him, or argue, or defeat his points. I mean just talk to him? I've been considering asking him for example, if he had a nice holiday.

I know it sounds nuts, but hey, I got through to worse people using the same methods before. What do you think?

Nightowl >8#

"To become different from what we are, we must have some awareness of what we are."
Eric Hoffer
New He only comes here for a fight
But that's just my take.
If you want to engage him in pleasantries, go for it. You don't have to take orders from anybody here either. You don't have much to work with. He hides behind an alias and keeps things on a relatively impersonal footing. The only time he mentioned anything about his personal past was to emphasize what a hard case he was.
I consider that changing his viewpoint is not realistic. Leaving counters to some of the garbage that he spews may be useful, albeit a true pain in the ass.
New What do you care what anybody thinks?
YOu feel like talking to M, just do it.
--

Select [link|http://www.glumbert.com/pictures/Default.asp?index=30|here].
New he's not stupid just naive, Ive chatted with him even though
he embraces communism.
thnx,
bill
I do hold an englishman's brothel is his castle , where he should behave accordingly--as many flash tails as he likes , but none of the troop fornications that the orientals and germans indulge in. Its not the indecency I mind , but the company of a lot of boozy brutes hallooing and kicking up a deuce of a row when I want to concentrate and give off my best. A regular bacchanalia is something to see right enough, but I am with the discriminating Frog who said that one is interesting, but only a cad would make a habit of it.
Sir Harold Flashman esquire VC OBE

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New regarding Marlowe
I'm not really concerned about Googling drop-ins concluding, merely because we no longer bother to respond to M, that his positions are unassailable. As you indicate in another post, he comes here for a fight—more precisely, he comes here to shout, and something in him requires an echo, some manner of feedback, by way of validation. It doesn't seem to matter to him whether this takes the form of reasoned rebuttal or of vitriolic abuse, so long as someone talks back to him. When his blood is up (there's a curious rise and fall of the messianic tone in his postings, on the origins of which I have speculated here times past) he seems to find lack of feedback unendurable, which was why I was a frequent booster of the "feed not the bot" movement: a contemptuous silence tended to make him gibber, greatly enhancing the comic tone of his contributions.

Anyone who has been at this for a while will understand that it's useless to reason with M. If deSitter finds some relief in venting at him, that's all for the good, as long as it's understood that M's feelings aren't hurt thereby (remember the old jest about the sadist declining to inflict pain on the masochist?).

I think that the ideal way of handling Marlowe has already suggested itself in the person of...Nightowl! The prolific one wonders
what would happen if we just tried to talk to him? I don't mean debate him, or argue, or defeat his points. I mean just talk to him? I've been considering asking him for example, if he had a nice holiday.
Nightie, this is brilliant! I don't say it won't require persistence, but it is eminently worth the attempt, and there is no one on the roster temperamentally better-equipped to undertake the project than you. Here's his home page: [link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html] There are various means listed thereupon for contacting him. Try one of them. Try all of them. Establish a human bond. Don't be discouraged if he ignores you or blows you off at first: redouble your efforts! You're bound to break through eventually. Spend just half the time and energy you spend on IWT each day on this project to humanize Marlowe and you will have the unfeigned gratitude of what Norman has dubbed the IWT "group mind" and all who sail in her.

cordially,

[edit: typo]
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
Expand Edited by rcareaga Feb. 4, 2004, 03:10:19 PM EST
New Hmm I checked it out
I didn't see means for contacting him, unless you mean all the political type groups he's in? I wouldn't fit into those, though.

I was looking for more like an email address. Maybe I didn't look in the right places.

I also would try to reach him on here, since it is where I already am comfortable, but he has to give me the right opening, which he hasn't done just yet.

I don't see him as a hopeless cause, but that's because I guess I believe there is always hope for anyone. :)

Nightowl >8#

Eric Hoffer
New You naughty man, you!
New Aesop's Fables
A cunning old fox whilst scheming alone,
devised a fowl plot to 'kill two with one stone'.
The bait was a chance for undying fame,
should one of the pair cure the other's insane.

GO THE FUCK AWAY - (deSitter) - (14)
         Did you forget, fuckwit? - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Bite me you Bunyan boffer! Stick it in Babe! - (deSitter)
         Disagree. He serves a purpose here - (hnick) - (11)
             Just curious (new thread) - (Nightowl)
             Re: Disagree. He serves a purpose here - (deSitter) - (9)
                 I don't know... - (hnick) - (8)
                     Since you said all that - (Nightowl) - (3)
                         He only comes here for a fight - (hnick)
                         What do you care what anybody thinks? - (Arkadiy)
                         he's not stupid just naive, Ive chatted with him even though - (boxley)
                     regarding Marlowe - (rcareaga) - (3)
                         Hmm I checked it out - (Nightowl)
                         You naughty man, you! -NT - (CRConrad)
                         Aesop's Fables - (dmarker)

Hello, boys and girls, this is your old pal Stinky Wizzleteats!
88 ms