11\tMass Storage Controller
15\tSecondary IDE Channel
8\tSystem CMOS/real time clock
13\tNumeric data processor
6\tStandard floppy disk controller
4\tCommunications Port (COM1)
3\tCommunications Port (COM2)
1\tStandard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Note all that stuff going through IRQ 11.
I'll also free up another IRQ when I gets me a PS/2 -> USB adapter for this here IBM keyboard.
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Re: IRQ Sharing is a two edged sword.
It's nice that a number of devices can share an interrupt - you can have more devices.

It's bad because when an interrupt occurs, you don't know who (i.e. which device) caused it or why. On an interrupt, additional interrupts are automatically disabled - interrupt handlers aren't themselves interrupted. The interrupt handlers of the associated device drivers for an IRQ are started one at a time, probably in the same sequence each time, and interrogate the associated device to see if it was the one that caused the interrupt. If not, the next device's interrupt handler is started. If so, the event is recorded, the interrupt condition in that device is reset, the next operation if any may be started, and interrupts re-enabled. If other devices had a pending interrupt the interrupt handling process (as above) would start again. Otherwise, whatever process was originally interrupted would resume.

The disadvantages of sharing interrupts are that 1) it takes longer to figure out what caused an interrupt and 2) that some devices, in effect, get preferential treatment. For good performance, it's important to arrange the sequence of device drivers so that the most frequently interrupting devices are serviced earlier.

Alex
New Amiga also shared IRQs
The IRQ number was related to the priority of the interrupt. I recall that the serial port operated on 2 IRQs - the higher priority IRQ was for receiving, the lower one for sending.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

Presario 7110US, 17", color printer. $1499.97 Deal? - (Another Scott) - (21)
         Sounds good. -NT - (static)
         Wondering re Compaq - (Ashton) - (1)
             My mom's Presario 5000 seems pretty standard. - (Another Scott)
         Careful... - (bepatient) - (16)
             IRQs only an issue for ISA peripherals. -NT - (pwhysall) - (15)
                 Umm could you expand on that? - (Ashton) - (8)
                     Brother, can you spare an IRQ? - (orion)
                     PCI's designed to share IRQs. BUT... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         Good crib sheet.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Edge versus Level triggering of interrupts... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 See what you mean. Heh! an analog! e- problem.. - (Ashton)
                     IRQ Sharing In Action - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Re: IRQ Sharing is a two edged sword. - (a6l6e6x)
                         Amiga also shared IRQs - (SpiceWare)
                 B*llsh*t. - (qstephens) - (5)
                     Some devices do not work well with others - (orion) - (4)
                         Why...________________________________"almost"____?? -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                             Why almost? - (orion) - (2)
                                 OK though not compelling for a non-techno wanting stability. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     You want stability for a non-techno? - (orion)
         Keyboard should be fine - (SpiceWare)

We're not surrounded, we're in a target-rich environment!
131 ms