IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dumb question on the second statement
Isnt that statement a pile of mollases to run? Guarrantied to choke the DB to death? Nowadays I avoid SQL like the plague but back when I was programming the idea was striped queries. It always seemed faster to get a single result from an indexed table and use that as a param to get the next result. As compared to joins as noted below a 486 would just choke with all cpu and memory full. Did all that change with faster hardware? I still think it would be faster to scan 10 individual tables than scan 10 joined tables.
thanx,
bill
same old crap, con artists ripping off fools. Ah, hell, Catholic Church it start off that way. They All do. Jesus probably had three walnut shells one pea, then he's dead and can't be questioned,
Gabriel Dupre

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Then, in the Bronze Age, the Query Optimizer was invented...
New Which typically chokes with too many joins.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Yeah, well; whaddaya expect, from Bronze-Age technology? :-)
New Depends on the optimizer...
run a show command and you'll see what it's up to.

Joins aren't usually the problem - table scans are. Joins are simple (particularly when the indexes are properly used), because with a good optimizer, the indexes are joined before the entire row is gotten.
     New Question - what does this (oracle) syntax mean? - (tuberculosis) - (18)
         Left join. - (admin) - (17)
             Oy - (tuberculosis) - (16)
                 Ick. -NT - (admin) - (7)
                     Way - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                         Looks to me like it was generated from icky tools. - (FuManChu) - (2)
                             Naah; we manually write shit like that all the time. :-( -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 Yeah - a tool would use consistent capitalization -NT - (tuberculosis)
                         Just start breaking it down. - (admin) - (2)
                             That's the plan - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                 Yeah, 'zackly, we use views like that all the time. :-( -NT - (CRConrad)
                 Relax; you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     I'm saving those for dessert - (tuberculosis)
                 Dumb question on the second statement - (boxley) - (4)
                     Then, in the Bronze Age, the Query Optimizer was invented... -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                         Which typically chokes with too many joins. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                             Yeah, well; whaddaya expect, from Bronze-Age technology? :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Depends on the optimizer... - (Simon_Jester)
                 Left join in the new SQL standard syntax - (Simon_Jester)

What was that "kneejerk" emoticon again?
297 ms