IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Perhaps you have a new calling. :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New A problem with that.
See.. the above was a good enough effort - it could be reuseable.

What is reuseable code called?

Er.. OO.

See the problem?

Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..
New Erg ug grg
>> What is reuseable code called? Er.. OO. <<

The "reusable" claim of OO has dropped out of favor as a top reason to use OO in most OO camps. Itsa 80's thing more or less. Most seem to say that OO simply
makes software easier to change (change-friendly) or "better engineering" in some vague way. (Exactly how, they never show, except for Meyer's flawedfully-used "single choice principle".)

If you want a taste of re-usable, then look at how the old COBOL hype moved over to Java: easier to use (than C++), portable to multiple machines, safer (than C++), etc. Then again, most here are not really Java fans, prefering Delphi, Smalltalk, Python, etc.

Since I remain relatively ignorant of the internecine battles (intentionally: haven't the interest or talent to expend in that direction), I can't partake of the intricate dance about, "how logically, logic is best employed" - though I suspect:

It will take a metalogic not yet attained - to settle Anything there.

But I do admire your dogged persistence. I also tend to think it's unimportant that (say) probably you are not expert in a gaggle of contradictory approaches, or as wizardly as the better practitioners (?)

Perseverance towards even a dimly perceived Grail can lead anywhere from wearing out many sets of tires to.. something Clever. All I can gather from what occasional delving I've done is that: advanced system theory / design / contemplation - employs brain areas and (DNA?) peculiarly developed mental views that - simply cannot be transmitted well to others.. (especially not: how to 'grow' those views)

Kinda like metaphysics (?)

Anyway - hang in there, but try to bring more examples of a provably (briefer? simpler? less error-prone? ___?) Point you want to make. They *like* working examples more than philosophy, y'know? FWIW from a nonprogrammer without that DNA fluke.

Cheers,

Ashton
New only entertaining to ruffle feathers of peacocks, not crows
>> advanced system theory / design / contemplation - employs brain areas and (DNA?) peculiarly developed mental views that - simply cannot be transmitted well to others.. (especially not: how to 'grow' those views) <<

There are two common views on this:

1. OOP is (allegedly) objectively better, but you have to change the way you think in order to obtain the benefits.

2. OOP just happens to fit the internal model of *some* people's brain. OO is not inheritantly better, just better matches those with an OO mind.

>> I also tend to think it's unimportant that (say) probably you are not expert in a gaggle of contradictory approaches, or as wizardly as the better practitioners (?) <<

There are indeed some fast syntax/API learners in this crowd. However, they are very UNimpressive in presenting objective evidence that OO is better. So far it is purely an emotion that they have. Being good at trees does not nec make one good at forests.

>> Kinda like metaphysics <<

Perhaps, but that is the last thing software engineering needs right now.

>> Anyway - hang in there, but try to bring more examples of a provably (briefer? simpler? less error-prone? ___?) Point you want to make. <<

I don't claim that my fav approaches are objectively better, only that the reverse is not the case. (There are more possibilities than those 2, so not being one does not auto imply the other.)

(BTW, I am still awaiting their reply to my tablized version of {runnable} challenge #6. Jim said he was looking at it, but otherwise rather busy at the moment.)
(Resistance is not futile...)
     Questions for Osama bin Laden - (brettj) - (11)
         Estimated responses - (tablizer) - (10)
             Perhaps you have a new calling. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 A problem with that. - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Erg ug grg - (tablizer) - (4)
                         "Flawedfully"?!? Now that's self-defining, if ever I saw... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             on second pass, "misuse of" may be a better phrasing -NT - (tablizer)
                         Was just joshin ya.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                             only entertaining to ruffle feathers of peacocks, not crows - (tablizer)
                     **severe giggle** -NT - (jb4)
             I hope he has had a change of heart - (brettj) - (1)
                 Don't Worry Brett - (deSitter)

Swiftly thereafter, Choco Taco Delight.
130 ms