IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How about this:
Deactivate the DHCP server in the ActionTec.

Connect the WAN port on the Linksys to the ActionTec (with crossover cable if need be). Assign one of your real static IP addresses to the WAN interface (on the Setup page).

Configure the Linksys with a non-routable address on its "internal" interface in the "LAN IP Address" field on the Setup page.

Put the Linksys back into gateway mode. Activate its DHCP server and assign it a block of addresses to dispense on your non-routable subnet.

Connect the uplink port on the LAN side of your Linksys to the ActionTec (like it is now).

Keep your G4 configuration the same as it is now.

What this does is give you two different subnets on what is effectively a single ethernet segment. The static IP information on your G4 makes it participate in the subnet that your DSL provides. The DHCP addresses dispensed by the Linksys will put your laptops and other wireless machines on the non-routable subnet. If you want to put another machine on the internet, just configure it to be on the public subnet like you did with the G4.

I am guessing that your Oracle server does not have wireless. This configuration does not give your Oracle machine internet access.
New Bingo!
That was it - I'm able to use a local address on either the wireless or lan network for the DMZ host and only my DMZ host is visible to the world. I'll sleep better tonight.

Networking is very painful - this was - what - something like 4 half days of work to figure this out?

Its much slowed down by the fact that everytime you change some address you have to run around and re-init all the devices that used to talk to it - including the device (laptop) you were using to talk to it to change the config.

I expect that by mucking with the port forwarding I can get more machines on the net to do their various jobs.

Thanks again!

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:39:19 AM EDT
     Trying to extend a network using wireless - (tuberculosis) - (19)
         I'll try to help a bit. - (Another Scott)
         Recommendations - (morganek) - (15)
             Sort of - more questions - (tuberculosis) - (14)
                 Re: Sort of - more questions - (morganek) - (12)
                     Still not there yet - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                         Do you have tcpdump/Ethereal? - (FuManChu) - (9)
                             I'm beginning to think this isn't possible - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                 Sorry to stalk, but. . . - (morganek)
                                 I guess I don't understand the G4 Airport thing. - (FuManChu) - (6)
                                     It doesn't matter - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                         I asked about the ActionTec because I wanted to see... - (FuManChu) - (4)
                                             I think I've got something - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                 Re: I think I've got something - (deSitter)
                                                 How about this: - (morganek) - (1)
                                                     Bingo! - (tuberculosis)
                         Re: Still not there yet - (morganek)
                 Sounds like you're doing what I did in November - (FuManChu)
         Todd, I just came across this thread, if you ... - (dmarker) - (1)
             Thanks - got it sorted -NT - (tuberculosis)

Hm. It all seems to cancel out. I’m back to not caring.
75 ms