IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's all economics
Read [link|http://economics.about.com/cs/macroeconomics/a/logic_of_action.htm|The Logic of Collective Action]. Groups find it difficult to organize for their collective good, even if they all know what it is, because it is in each person's interest to punt and leave it to everyone else.

This isn't about people being good or bad. It is about basic laziness and self-interest.

The only solution which has been demonstrated to work for this is to create individual incentives to put out effort for things that we all find worthwhile. However there is an inherent tension in making sure that it is not overly worthwhile to put out effort for things that most of us would rather not see. Like theft, political manipulation, etc.

I say overly worthwhile because there is a certain background amount that most of us just accept. But we all have our limits, and our limits are routinely exceeded until we (hopefully) find it worthwhile to pushback.

Cheers,
BEn
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Yes but.. it's the competition mantra
Still, given the Religio-competition, same game: sadly, it IS applicable!
(Think - Evangelicals' lobbying effectiveness - shout Loud; Get Power)

Unsurprising also. Since most religions preach cooperation (but the members of most such groups practice competition, unmodified by any pious Sunday pronouncements) - we appear to be back to Todd's excellent simile, below.

Corporate religion fails in similar manner - hypocrisy - as does Econ-theory; except - Econ is more honest in portraying (and advocating) -- limitless competition in all things. Only fools would apply such a mechanical, sterile POV to All of Life [?]

What a way to live, Econ- OR Religio-

Obsolete. Who will finally kill it off and free the offspring, in a generation or two.. to begin exploring next human possibilities?

A.
     [Something] must be Crazy... - (Ashton) - (16)
         It's all economics - (ben_tilly) - (1)
             Yes but.. it's the competition mantra - (Ashton)
         If you can't agree that people are evil... - (gdaustin) - (11)
             I want to alter that last part... - (Nightowl) - (4)
                 A quote you'll like. - (static) - (3)
                     Re: A quote you'll like. - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         Oh how well do I know that problem... - (static) - (1)
                             Well my goal was... - (Nightowl)
             Its too hard to differentiate - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                 Admirably encapsulated! - (Ashton)
                 Lyme disease is caused by Tics? You hating the wrong insect? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     No - wait - what's the one going around in mosquitoes? - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         that one is bad and we get it around here as well :( -NT - (boxley)
             Re: If you can't agree that people are evil... - (Ashton)
         you mean chicoms are christians? - (boxley) - (1)
             Yup.. it's a Fundamental(ist) issue - nondenominational. - (Ashton)

You were a prophet from above, then you came and sucked my blood.
62 ms