IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New CNN: No al Qaeda link in Iraq. Nope.
[link|http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/30/sprj.irq.alqaeda.weapons/index.html|Another thing that didn't happen]

Excerpt:

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. forces operating in the so-called Sunni Triangle -- the region of Iraq most loyal to captured former dictator Saddam Hussein -- found a significant weapons cache that included al Qaeda literature and videotapes, the U.S. military said Tuesday.

Members of Task Force Ironhorse 2nd Infantry's Arrowhead Brigade discovered the material Monday morning at a site in Samarra, about 65 miles north-northwest of Baghdad. Some of the items were found hidden in a false wall, the military said.

The troops also found a British-made body armor plate with a bullet hole. U.S. Central Command said it was an indication that insurgents were testing the ceramic plate's ability to withstand expended anti-personnel ammunition.

In addition to the al Qaeda literature and videos, the troops found nearly 8,000 rounds of ammunition; 160 mortar rounds and six mortar tubes; 43 rocket-propelled grenade launchers and 79 rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs); and 19 AK-47 assault rifles, as well as dozens of other weapons.

The military also said a significant amount of C4 and TNT explosives material was found, as was material to make improvised explosive devices -- the crudely made bombs that have killed or maimed dozens of coalition troops.

That was just one of several large weapons caches uncovered in Iraq in the last two days.

I say:

CNN is biased. They only report what they think will boost ratings. It so happens that what they think will boost ratings changes from time to time.

What a difference a Saddam capture makes. And we still haven't got Izzat Ibrahim.

Oh, and lest we forget: [link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/iraq.terrorism.html|the evidence thus far]
----------------------------------------------------------------
DEAL WITH IT.
"How can I go to the bathroom when my people are in bondage?" - Saddam Hussein
"If I may be candid for a moment, and let's see you try to stop me..." - Jay Conrad Levinson
Compromise is for suckers. Seeking a middle ground is what led to 9/11.
"I do not want to be admired by scumbags and liars and wife beaters. I want to be admired by good and decent, intelligent and just people, and in order to achieve this I need to do things that make me despised by their opposites." - Bill Whittle
Never mind all the mass graves. Where's the nerve gas?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
Expand Edited by marlowe Dec. 31, 2003, 09:28:38 AM EST
New So by that logic
if US Federal agents find a cache of weapons and literature by some "White Power/Skinhead Nation" vigilante group in Michigan, then it's correct to link that group to the US government? After all, they existed on US soil, their site and supplies are on US soil...

By the way, has the war in Iraq found Osama bin-Laden yet?
lincoln

"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL resume]
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/tandem_resume.htm|Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Not to mention the material found in the US...
that belonged to Mohamed Atta, et al.
Alex

In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty. -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US president
New Yep, good old moral equivalence.
No difference between a free country and a fascist/Stalinist despotism. At least none that you can see.

"By that logic" indeed. That's *your* paranoiac logic, not mine.
----------------------------------------------------------------
DEAL WITH IT.
"How can I go to the bathroom when my people are in bondage?" - Saddam Hussein
"If I may be candid for a moment, and let's see you try to stop me..." - Jay Conrad Levinson
Compromise is for suckers. Seeking a middle ground is what led to 9/11.
"I do not want to be admired by scumbags and liars and wife beaters. I want to be admired by good and decent, intelligent and just people, and in order to achieve this I need to do things that make me despised by their opposites." - Bill Whittle
Never mind all the mass graves. Where's the nerve gas?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfire...arlowe/index.html]
New Please do not play dumb
You're doing it too well.

Saddam exerted the degree of control that US Govt doesn't even dream of (literally). If large amounts of literature were kept in the country, it's because Saddam knew and permitted it.
--

"It\ufffds possible to build a reasonably prosperous society that invests in its people, doesn\ufffdt invade its neighbors, opposes Israel and stands up to America. (Just look at France.)"

-- James Lileks
New Saddam's power had limits.
Like the 2/3 of the country that was "no fly", the control loss in the North, concessions in the south, etc. After the Gulf War of '91, he was no longer Stalin.

Note: I am not defending him, only pointing out that his power over the whole of the country was not absolute.
bcnu,
Mikem

I don't do third world languages. So no, I don't do Java.
New In Northern No-Fly zone
he was nobody. If Al-Quaeda stuff was found there, it was not his doing.

In general, it's binary. Either he had no power, like in Curdistan, or he killed hundereds of tousands and altered the face of Earth itself. Yes, wherever he could reach he was indeed Stalin reborn.
--

"It\ufffds possible to build a reasonably prosperous society that invests in its people, doesn\ufffdt invade its neighbors, opposes Israel and stands up to America. (Just look at France.)"

-- James Lileks
New Is this meant for me?
If so, please expand on your statement so that I can respond.

Such a cache could have been known to Saddam or someone high up in his government, but there's no firm proof yet. Again, just because it existed in his country doesn't mean definitively that he was knowledgeable of it.
lincoln

"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Any political/religious/philosophical movement
is a potential danger to the regime. It becomes known in the matter of weeks, because that's what the informers are looking for. If the cache survived for more than a few month, it was definitely with the permission of Saddam.

Think about the treatment of religion in Soviet Russia. It was essentially impossible to go to church between, say, 1937 and 1941. Then all of a sudden, Stalin needed a nationalistic ideology. Surviving preists (not only Ortodox, but others as well) were released from camps, Council for Affairs of Religious Cults got established (1944), and religion in Russia experienced a "revival". Of course, I have to use quotes here, because, for example, the Patriarch of Russian Orthodox CHurch was a high-level party appointee, "nomenclatura" of Politburo. But still, the Church could have buildings, print books and raise priests in relative safety.

--

-- James Lileks
     CNN: No al Qaeda link in Iraq. Nope. - (marlowe) - (8)
         So by that logic - (lincoln) - (7)
             Not to mention the material found in the US... - (a6l6e6x)
             Yep, good old moral equivalence. - (marlowe)
             Please do not play dumb - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                 Saddam's power had limits. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     In Northern No-Fly zone - (Arkadiy)
                 Is this meant for me? - (lincoln) - (1)
                     Any political/religious/philosophical movement - (Arkadiy)