IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Doesn't surprise me, but...
My flight instructor not knowing!?!

This morning's lesson got weathered out (too windy). I was hoping I could, if not solo, at least get a lesson in on this day. Oh well.

Brian Bronson
New Know what you mean.
METAR KGSH 171735Z AUTO 26017KT 1 3/4 SM -SN BR BKN 013 OVC034 M04/M06
A2986 RMK A02 SLP123 P0000 60000 T10391056 11039 21061 58012

AIRMET ICE...WI MI IL IN LS LM LH
FROM YQT TO SSM TO YVV TO DX0 TO FWA TO JOT TO DLL TO YQT
OCNL MOD RIME/MXD ICGICIP BLW 100. CONDS ENDG ARND 18Z WI/IL
PTNS...CONTG ELSW BYD 21Z...ENDG IN PTN 21-99Z...CONTG ELSW THRU 03Z.

Swell, huh?
bcnu,
Mikem

Java, Junk. Both start with a "J", both have four letters. Coincidence? I think not.
New Re: Know what you mean.
LS, LM, LH? Oh, Superior etc. Nice.

Ocnl - huh? Occasional OK..

"Occaisional moderate rime/mixed icing and frozen precipitation, below 10,000 feet. Conditions ending around 18:00 GMT, WI-IL portions, continuing elsewhere beyond 21:00 GMT..."

A lot of the conditions, I have no idea :) Looks like maybe "broken clouds at 1300 feet, overcast at 3400". I guess 26017 is 260 azimuth, 17 knots?

-drl
New Thanks for the translation, Ross
As for you, Mike...Screek Engrish, Troop!
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New Hey, now you know how I feel when you REAL computer
geeks start spouting your obscure language! ;-)

Brian Bronson
Who only pretends to be a pseudo computer geek
New Hey! If you're pretending....
to be a pseudo computer geek, that would have to mean that you are a REAL computer geek....
jb4
"There are two ways for you to have lower Prescription-drug costs. One is you could hire Rush Limbaugh's housekeeper ... or you can elect me President."
John Kerry
New Heh. Ross did really well.
When I first saw one of those my reaction was: WTF? Reading this is harder than flying the airplane.

Here's some help:

[link|http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/conversion/swometardecoder.html|http://lwf.ncdc.noaa...metardecoder.html]

METAR KGSH 171735Z AUTO 26017KT 1 3/4 SM -SN BR BKN 013 OVC034 M04/M06
A2986 RMK A02 SLP123 P0000 60000 T10391056 11039 21061 58012

Automated Surface observation Dec. 17, at 1735 UTC
Wind 260 at 17 knots, visibility 1.75 statute miles. Light snow mist. [sky condition Ross nailed]. Temperature -04C, Dewpoint -06C. Barometric pressure (for setting altimeters) 29.86.

The rest is left as an exercise ;0)

AIRMET ICE...WI MI IL IN LS LM LH
[Ross nailed]

FROM YQT TO SSM TO YVV TO DX0 TO FWA TO JOT TO DLL TO YQT
These are all VORs. The YQT is Thunder Bay, Canada. You just draw lines from VOR to VOR. This is pretty big, FWA is Fort Wayne, Indiana. My airport is 20nm north of Fort Wayne.

OCNL MOD RIME/MXD ICGICIP BLW 100. CONDS ENDG ARND 18Z WI/IL
PTNS...CONTG ELSW BYD 21Z...ENDG IN PTN 21-99Z...CONTG ELSW THRU 03Z.
Occaisional moderate rime/mixed icing in clouds and precipitation below 10000 ft. Conditions ending around 1800Z in Wisconsin and Illinois, continuing elsewhere beyond 2100Z ending in Indiana sometime after 2100Z, continuing elsewhere through 0300Z. (Z = UTC)

That better jb?
bcnu,
Mikem

Java, Junk. Both start with a "J", both have four letters. Coincidence? I think not.
New Time to update those
They're antiquated. Designed for teletype transmission - there's not reason to maintain this format. Your FAA tax dollars at rest.

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
New They're working on it.
But it's sort of like the VOR's. They were supposed to be down in 2005. Think that'll happen? Not a chance. Nobody's (and most importantly my) LORAN would work anymore ;-)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Bah - the so-called FAA systems modernization
has been a total hose job. 6 VB Programmers and a chimp could have done a better job. This has been mumbled about since I was a student pilot (20 years now?!?!).

Meanwhile, how many accidents have been caused by mis-interpretation of these cryptic missives? Quite a few I'll wager.

"I believe that many of the systems we build today in Java would be better built in Smalltalk and Gemstone."

-- Martin Fowler, JAOO 2003
New HEY!! HEY!!! HEY!!! I worked on that system
We had a unique system that put all the airport controls on one screen. You get an alarm you drill down until you saw (an example) readouts of alarms on a generator 1200 mile away and a webcam so you could actually see the oil pressure guage. Used COTs and open systems stuff. All this so some jamoke didnt have to take an 8 hr boat ride to reset the generator unless he really needed to. It was state of the art. It was so state of the art that UNISYS went to congress to get the funding yanked in favor of their tandem boxen. So take yer VB Chimps and put the blame where it belongs on yer congress critters. Not the FAA.
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Heh.
Personally, I can't wait for the circus of "free flight" to take hold. With all the fly-by-wire crap coming to an airliner near you soon, this should make commercial aviation the very best reason for everyone to get get their PPSEL.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Yes, thanks!
Now, for 100 bonus points and a chance at the lightning round:

What is the TLA for Waukegan airport? For Waukesha? (bbronson can answer, but since he already knows the answer to the second one, no bonus points. BTW, I don't know the answers; that's why I'm asking!)
jb4
John Kerry
New Airnav.com is your friend
[link|http://www.airnav.com/airports/|AirNav]

Enter the city name and click Get Airport Information. In this case, you'll get a result set showing that Waukegan, IL airport is code KUGN. Follow that link and you can find out just about everything about the airport.

BTW, Waukesha is KUES.

Brian Bronson
     First Flight party - (deSitter) - (19)
         One has to cringe every time W opens his mouth. - (a6l6e6x)
         What's depressing to me. - (mmoffitt) - (17)
             Re: What's depressing to me. - (a6l6e6x)
             Doesn't surprise me, but... - (bbronson) - (13)
                 Know what you mean. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                     Re: Know what you mean. - (deSitter) - (11)
                         Thanks for the translation, Ross - (jb4) - (10)
                             Hey, now you know how I feel when you REAL computer - (bbronson) - (1)
                                 Hey! If you're pretending.... - (jb4)
                             Heh. Ross did really well. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                 Time to update those - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                     They're working on it. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         Bah - the so-called FAA systems modernization - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                             HEY!! HEY!!! HEY!!! I worked on that system - (boxley)
                                             Heh. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Yes, thanks! - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Airnav.com is your friend - (bbronson)
             Anti-depressant - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Thanks. - (mmoffitt)

Bad command or filename.
57 ms