IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SuSE Linux 9.0 Installation Review
This is Nightowl's husband John. She said you might want to know what the SuSE 9.0 install was like.

I have the retail box version of SuSE Linux 9.0 Professional. I decided to install it on Owl's old Celeron 400 MHz computer with 512MB memory, a CD player, CD writer, floppy drive, 2 parallel ports, and 2 serial ports.

Her computer had an old 4GB hard drive. I wanted more space than that, so I replaced it prior to the install with a blank 80GB hard drive. The installation process claims to be able to recognize existing Linux and resize Windows partitions to make room for itself, but I didn't test that.

Setting partitions for the empty hard drive was relatively pain-free. It defaults to just creating boot and swap partitions, and then putting everything else on one big partition. I was able to change that without fuss, and it had helpful hints for partitioning in a side frame while I designated what I wanted.

You can select what you want to install off the distribution pretty easily. There are descriptions of everything, and a way to check to make sure you're not installing something that will conflict with something else. They also have packages of suggested things to install. There were times I was wishing I could just click "I have the disk space, so just install everything, dammit", but I understand why they didn't do that.

I was disappointed with the hardware auto-detection. It figured out OK that I had a Radeon graphics card and two parallel ports, but it kept forgetting some of the things I selected. For example, I tried more than once to activate 3D graphics acceleration, and it acts like it works OK all the way up to where you click Finalize, and then it shows you the summary screen indicating that 3D graphics acceleration is deactivated. I'm going to have to work on that some more. It also refused to remember what I told it my sound card was.

It had a habit of forgetting what I indicated in user setup. For example, I told it I wanted to use /bin/ksh as my shell, instead of the suggested /bin/bash, and it gave me /bin/bash anyway. It also seemed to want to reset my password to something 6 characters long. Very annoying.

I haven't had a chance to work on it very much other than the very basic setup, so maybe the full-featured setup works better than the initial setup. Otherwise, I'm going to have to set things up the hard way. (But then, isn't that what Linux is about?)

"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New Re: SuSE Linux 9.0 Installation Review
This isn't a review, it's your opinion about the "easy" install process, and you've clearly indicated that you're a tinkerer. And why are you running a brand new version on a shitty computer?

The acceleration works on the Radeon with manual tweaking of the XF86Config file. It's a trivial and known point about Radeons - blame ATI for their legendary obscurity.

As for using ksh - uh...does that make you special?
-drl
New You are completely unbelievable.... (new thread)
Created as new thread #129779 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=129779|You are completely unbelievable....]
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New Lay off, Ross.
Give it a rest already. Yes, we understand you don't like them. Keep it to yourself or the flame forum, for fsck's sake.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Aye
-drl
     SuSE Linux 9.0 LiveEval - (pwhysall) - (8)
         Re: SuSE Linux 9.0 LiveEval - (deSitter) - (1)
             I'm not getting too excited just yet :) - (pwhysall)
         Re: SuSE Linux 9.0 LiveEval - (Nightowl)
         SuSE Linux 9.0 Installation Review - (Nightowl) - (4)
             Re: SuSE Linux 9.0 Installation Review - (deSitter) - (3)
                 You are completely unbelievable.... (new thread) - (Nightowl)
                 Lay off, Ross. - (admin) - (1)
                     Aye -NT - (deSitter)

It goes up to "11".
41 ms