IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any suggestions for a burnt tongue?
I'm feeling seriously under the weather the last couple of days, sore throat, the usual junk... so I made myself a cup of hot tea... only I am a lousy cook and can't ever figure out how long to leave the water in the microwave to get hot.... so my first sip scalded my tongue....

I keep wishing I could put aloe on it, but you can't eat that right? All I've been able to do so far is eat a lot of popsicles and ice cubes. (sigh).

Nightowl >8#

"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

Comment by Nightowl {O,O}
New Time, painkillers if need be, and don't do that again
The tongue heals amazingly fast. It has to, it is in a rough environment and often gets hurt.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New I use zilactin when I bite mine
Probably, anything for canker sores may help. If you stand the pain though, it heals faster without intervention.
New Re: I use zilactin when I bite mine
Okay, I might try a canker sore medicine. So far I've been coping, but it really hurts, so it's hard. I didn't know a painkiller (oral, I assume), would help a burnt tongue. Maybe that would help.

And believe you me, Ben, I won't be doing it again! I'm gonna find the right temperature for hot tea (right amount of minutes to make it where I can drink it right away but it's still hot enough to help my throat), and WRITE IT DOWN.

Experimentation may be in order.

Nightowl >8#
"The difference between being immature and child-like is that one is what you are, and one is what you choose to be."

New What? No ice cream in the house?
Shame. BTW, If you are heating the water in a mug, try 1 and a 1/2 minutes. Adjust to suit in 15 second increments.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New Re: What? No ice cream in the house?
Only ice cream bites. I'm not much of a milk person, and so popsicles are better, especially when I have a sore throat.

Yes, I use a mug. :) I heated it for 1 minute 40 seconds, that was too high. I realize microwave ovens differ in power levels, so I may try 1 minute next time and then work up like you suggested, in 15 second intervals or so.

Nightowl >8#

New Be very, very careful heating water in a microwave
[link|http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/superheating.html|http://www.phys.unsw...superheating.html]

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New YES!
I was going to point this out - lots of fun under controlled conditions!
-drl
New The other kitchen burn danger
..self-igniting grease fire. Sort of the same idea - grease for, say, French fries is heated to the point of ignition. You blow it out with a few puffs but it continues to smoke sightly - then you pick up the frying pan to dump the grease down the drain and WHOOSH! - the smoke itself ignites in a flash fire. You can see smoke ignition in action with a candle - blow the candle out and while the gases above are still hot, put a flame in the smoke trail - candle magically re-ignites.

If you ever have a grease fire, blow it out and then LEAVE IT BE for 10 minutes.
-drl
New That's how those trick candles work.
There are magnesium crystals in the wick that spark as they burn. These sparks ignite the smoke and hey-presto a candle flame re-appears.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Re: The other kitchen burn danger
..self-igniting grease fire. Sort of the same idea - grease for, say, French fries is heated to the point of ignition. You blow it out with a few puffs but it continues to smoke sightly - then you pick up the frying pan to dump the grease down the drain and WHOOSH! - the smoke itself ignites in a flash fire. You can see smoke ignition in action with a candle - blow the candle out and while the gases above are still hot, put a flame in the smoke trail - candle magically re-ignites.

This is another reason I do not cook. I'm absolutely terrified of popping grease or anything to do with cooking with grease.

Nightowl >8#

New Re: The other kitchen grease danger
Dumping *any* 'grease' down your drain, especially hot! - is what buys new boats for plumbers, sooner or later. Even an mt glass jar, warmed by a few drips First! so it doesn't crack - is a better habit to get into. Then too, what happened to Putting a Lid on the thing? Combustion: rapid oxidation cha cha cha

(Amazing too, the number of folks what never heard of cooling collected grease, using disposal with COLD water, etc. - for those who won't trouble to toss it in the garbage directly.)

Once upon a time, folks saved grease from home use - it got recycled for soap and other stuff.. (but That took a huge War to become habitual, too IIRC)

Eloise
New Wet teatowel is best for fat fires.
Turn the heat off, and leave it alone for at least an hour.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Re: Be very, very careful heating water in a microwave
Thanks Ben, I kinda knew some of that, but not all.

I'm always very very careful when heating it. I don't fill the mug all the way, for one thing, and I have two very old mugs that I always use for tea or hot chocolate, so they aren't new, which is good.

I also let it stand in the oven for a couple seconds at least before removing it, and I never put my face over it. My only mistake was trying to sip it before checking the temperature.

I have concluded that approximately 1 minute in my microwave is what does it for me, i.e. hot enough to do some good to my throat, but not too hot to sip.

P.S. My tongue seems a lot better today, still roughed up and sore, but nothing like yesterday.

New Two Words
Stir Well.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New think of all the things you cant taste and call hubby NOW!
seriously scrub tongue with sea salt, and prick a vtamen e tab and drizzle onto burnt parts, gonna hurt for a while but vite e helps the healing.
thanx,
bill
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New My 1st thought was pizza
My second was this.
-drl
New What does a microwave have to do . .
. . with being a cook, lousy or otherwise?
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: What does a microwave have to do . .
Hey, it requires months of trial and error to find the right combination of power level and time for the perfect bowl of La Moore D'Inty, or soup du poulet et legumes, avec des Premiums craquements - and it's different for every machine! Haute cuisine is all artistry.

-drl
New Rofl!
Alex

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Henry Kissinger
New Re: What does a microwave have to do . .
Hey, it requires months of trial and error to find the right combination of power level and time for the perfect bowl of La Moore D'Inty, or soup du poulet et legumes, avec des Premiums craquements - and it's different for every machine! Haute cuisine is all artistry.

I don't know if Ross is being sarcastic, but what he says is really true. Different ovens have different power levels, and finding the level you need for something varies. For example, in my oven, I defrost a piece of bread in 20 seconds on high, but in mom's, it takes longer, etc. Plus nowadays there are all these buttons for different foods, that admittedly, I've never experimented with, but that makes it even more to figure out for those that do.

Nightowl >8#

New Harumph.
[link|http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-5610|Richard Deacon]* thought enough of it to write a [link|http://search.goantiques.com/cgi-bin/texis/scripts/mainsearch|cookbook] (Which somehow ended up in my possession a few years ago).

*Mel Cooley from the Dick Van Dyke show.
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New Harumph, the link is to antiques. :)
Alex

"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Henry Kissinger
New Re: Harumph, the link is to antiques. :)
He's correct, there is no cook book on the page.

Nightowl >8#

New Search results don't stick in address line
Try searching on Richard Deacon. Or try [link|http://cooking.shoppingsavvy.com/6-Microwave-Cookery-Books-The-Low-Calorie-Microwave-Oven-Cookbook.html|here]. I just thought it was funny it was listed in an antiques site.
Mike Royko
New Next time stick your finger in it
burnt fingers are easier to cope with than burnt tounges. It is what I always do to check how hot something is before I eat or drink it. Look for steam rising from it first, a good sign that it is too hot. Always let things cool down for a few minutes when cooking them in a Microwave.

If I make hot water in the Microwave, I suually put an ice cube in it before I drink it to cool it down. Works with hot coacoa too.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Next time stick your finger in it
I'll keep that suggestion in mind too! Thanks!

Nightowl >8#

New proper tempurature testing without equipment
The safest way to see if something is too hot is to dip your elbow into it. All farmers do this when nursing newborn animals. Orion I know you have a kid so didnt you ever get told how to test bottled food for heat? drip liquid on your wrist, more heat sensitivity than other areas.
thanx,
Bill
998 :)
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: proper tempurature testing without equipment
Thanks for the information, but I don't think my elbow will fit in the small mug. :) I've pretty much settled the issue that 1 minute in my microwave is about right, I'm drinking another cup as I type.

I had heard about squirting the drops on your wrist from a baby bottle though, even without having any kids. :)

Nightowl >8#

New The proper way to test for tea temperature
is to keep adding ice until it no longer melts. :-)
New Re: The proper way to test for tea temperature
I want it to be hot, Chris, just not scalding. ;)

Nightowl >8#

New Iced Tea is the way to go. :-)
New Re: Iced Tea is the way to go. :-)
I agree, in the middle of the summer. :)

When I feel like I feel right now, choked up, congested, and sick, HOT tea is the only thing that helps me clear my throat up and breathe better.

Nightowl >8#

Any suggestions for a burnt tongue? - (Nightowl) - (32)
         Time, painkillers if need be, and don't do that again - (ben_tilly)
         I use zilactin when I bite mine - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Re: I use zilactin when I bite mine - (Nightowl)
         What? No ice cream in the house? - (Silverlock) - (10)
             Re: What? No ice cream in the house? - (Nightowl) - (9)
                 Be very, very careful heating water in a microwave - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                     YES! - (deSitter)
                     The other kitchen burn danger - (deSitter) - (4)
                         That's how those trick candles work. - (static)
                         Re: The other kitchen burn danger - (Nightowl)
                         Re: The other kitchen grease danger - (Ashton)
                         Wet teatowel is best for fat fires. - (pwhysall)
                     Re: Be very, very careful heating water in a microwave - (Nightowl)
                     Two Words - (pwhysall)
         think of all the things you cant taste and call hubby NOW! - (boxley) - (1)
             My 1st thought was pizza - (deSitter)
         What does a microwave have to do . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
             Re: What does a microwave have to do . . - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Rofl! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                 Re: What does a microwave have to do . . - (Nightowl)
             Harumph. - (Silverlock) - (3)
                 Harumph, the link is to antiques. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                     Re: Harumph, the link is to antiques. :) - (Nightowl)
                     Search results don't stick in address line - (Silverlock)
         Next time stick your finger in it - (orion) - (7)
             Re: Next time stick your finger in it - (Nightowl)
             proper tempurature testing without equipment - (boxley) - (5)
                 Re: proper tempurature testing without equipment - (Nightowl) - (4)
                     The proper way to test for tea temperature - (ChrisR) - (3)
                         Re: The proper way to test for tea temperature - (Nightowl) - (2)
                             Iced Tea is the way to go. :-) -NT - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                 Re: Iced Tea is the way to go. :-) - (Nightowl)

Soundtrack now available on Atlantic Records.
97 ms