IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New My $.02...
You ask:
"What I'm wondering is, are they doing that because they believe it, or are they doing it so they can rhetorically distance themselves from the US?"

Once we pack up and go home, they still have to live in "the region". They absolutely want no part of a war with NATO+ but they don't want to have to keep fighting wars with their neighbors once this thing is over. Iran and Iranians (by their history) are perhaps the most "cosmopolitan" of the Arab nations (along with Iraq and the entire region formerly known as "the Persian Empire"). Recent history aside, these nations have long been major traders with the Europeans (including Romans, Greeks, etc...) and are very used to having foreign influences in their countries.

Simple answer to your question, they are thinking more in terms of "when this thing is over". The Iranians (I believe rightly) believe that they are not in the crosshairs... And if Iraq happens to be... they truly aren't going to care all that much... To answer your question...
[link|http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/01/10/7/14478787.cfm|http://www.heraldne...14478787.cfm]

"Almost all the merchants, traders and preachers were from the mainstream Sunni branch of Islam, and today most Asian Muslims adhere to Sunni Islam.

Mystics of the Sunni branch, called Sufis, preached widely in Asia and were instrumental in converting people. Sufism, which emphasizes personal devotion and often blends local practices into its worship, is still powerful among Asian Muslims.

The other main branch of Islam, although much smaller, is Shiism, which dominates Iran and is the largest sect in Iraq. Pockets of Shiite Islam also exist in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Tajikistan.

Shiism, originally a dissident faction, has its own distinct rituals and a more organized and hierarchical clerical system than Sunni Islam.

A strict form of Islam called Wahhabism, founded in Saudi Arabia at the start of the 19th century, still flourishes there today and is making inroads in Asia. Based on a literal translation of the Quran, Wahhabism rejects mysticism and any veneration of saints or their tombs. The movement has served as an inspiration for Osama bin Laden."
Just a few thoughts,

Screamer

"Putting the fun back into funatic"
New Re: My $.02...
The Iranians are Persians, not Arabs. The animosity between the two goes back centuries. Because they are Shi'ite (where does that damn apostrophe go?), they believe that Muhammed was not the last prophet. The Sunnis (generally) believe he was. Muhammed was more or less a thug who knocked over caravans and stole the goods. Because he "saw visions" and "heard voices" (hell, in my...errr...more chemically induced states, so did I), he got religion and somehow knocking over cavavans for their goods became the Holy Occupation of Knocking Over Caravans and Taking Their Goods As Long as Muhammed is The One Doing It. The Koran itself is not bereft of decent meaning, regardless of where it came from.
Gerard Allwein
New Re: Thanks Gerard, got my first laugh of the day

I like your concentrated view of the holy one :-)

Can you add a similar comment regarding the formation of the Shia - I need another good laugh - all this
military conflict can be tiresome

Cheers & keep posting

Doug
New Re: Good line of reasoning

It is also worth remembering (as with any country in the region) that the leadership is made up of competing factions & Iran is very much so at present.

There are factions who still hate US as much as was portrayed by the Ayatollah's 'great satan' view. Then there are the moderates who have the numbers but not the power.

So it is not surprising that there will be conflicting messages. But I agree fully that Iran is as a whole, is looking to the longer view that it has to stay in the region & if things go wrong - who wants Taliban trained Sunni terrorists attacking Shia targets in Iran.

Cheers

Doug M
New Wahhabism is also the official religion of Saudi Arabia -msg
     I wonder how many condemnations are empty rhetoric - (cwbrenn) - (25)
         My $.02... - (screamer) - (4)
             Re: My $.02... - (gtall) - (1)
                 Re: Thanks Gerard, got my first laugh of the day - (dmarker2)
             Re: Good line of reasoning - (dmarker2)
             Wahhabism is also the official religion of Saudi Arabia -msg -NT - (Simon_Jester)
         \\/\\/377 do0D.. - (Ashton)
         Re: Perhaps someone can fill us in on the Muslim schism - (dmarker2) - (9)
             Can't do that but ... - (altmann) - (3)
                 Re: Have to admit that was my recollection - (dmarker2) - (2)
                     QAD research on differences between Shia & Sunni - (dmarker2) - (1)
                         Re: Aha - the murk clears (just a bit) - (dmarker2)
             This seems to cover it. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Re: Good work - that does cover it well - (dmarker2) - (1)
                     Re: I finally found whose son got killed in battle of Islams - (dmarker2)
             Sunni - Shiite split - (brettj) - (1)
                 Re: Jesus died ? - (dmarker2)
         waal can you say mormon xian - (boxley) - (8)
             Re: Mormon split came to mind - but they don't have a hist o - (dmarker2) - (7)
                 But as Bill has painted in pastels + pepperoni, - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Re your PS. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         Depending on which outfit has it right - (mhuber) - (4)
                             Ah yes.. to sleep, perchance to dream.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                 Searching for honest work? - (mhuber) - (2)
                                     Re: Searching for honest work? - (Steve Lowe)
                                     Sounds almost good.. - (Ashton)

I'm made of 100% baryonic matter.
168 ms