IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New While I'm ranting, late night talk show formats
Why is it that all "big" late night talk shows have solidified on a format of this guest, that guest, maybe another guest, and then finishing up with some musical group that is at best someone I've heard of but don't like or at worst someone I've never heard of and hate?
(those of you of musical inclination are welcome to counter-rant. I think the last album I bought was the post-humous Karen Carpenter album. :-)

(And I've never used Napster, or any other musical download service, so don't talk to me about copying or RIAA or whatever.)
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New Because they're uncreative copycats.
The only person I ever saw who did exactly this format successfully was Michael Parkinson. And the musical item usually at the end was often one of the guests.

To make it work, you need to take risks. Here in Australia, we have a late night talk show called [link|http://www.rove.com.au|Rove Live]. The host's name is actually "Rove", hence the name of the show. He's actually a stand-up comic and does a few minutes of this at the top of the show. Then he has a few guests, interspersed with segments involving the show's "live" reporters doing things, usually with viewers. Sometimes he just sends a crew for a Rove Live Challenge (example: one girl had the show's hour to get as many people in her street as possible to change into Rove Live t-shirts.) Sometimes the guests participate in silly games, often he has a wierd local or something (a few months ago he had a 4-year old Elvis impersonator!) and usually has a mail-in segment called "What the...?" Then Rove ends with a band.

This basic format is a pared down version of what the venerable Hey Hey It's Saturday used to do every week for more than 25 years. Except they had two hours, more regulars and felt much more like a older variety show format. And was correspondingly more expensive to produce, which is why it isn't on anymore.

The other extreme is a show called The Panel which has a number of well-known Aussie comedians who sit around a table and talk about current events. They have guests for some of the show and sometimes have a band. But it's still the same type of format. In truth, they were surprised the network let them do it, but someone saw the potential and it's a ratings winner for Ten.

Somewhere off to the side is the format you described, sans the music, but with a distinct topic. Many of the programs on [link|http://www.abc.net.au/rn/|Radio National] work that way and the ABC has a few TV programs along the same lines.

I guess it really depends on the personality of the host(s) and the creativity they put into the format.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New uncreative explains Saturday Night Live
For some reason, between their (sometimes - well okay rarely) humorous bits, they have some group play music. Why? It's a bloody comedy show, it's not an "introduce new band" or "trott out an old band" show. I thought SNL was supposed to be about comedy (well, they haven't been for most of the past twenty years but that's beside the point.)
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New The band is for studio audience. Change sets, commercials,..
     While I'm ranting, late night talk show formats - (wharris2) - (3)
         Because they're uncreative copycats. - (static) - (2)
             uncreative explains Saturday Night Live - (wharris2) - (1)
                 The band is for studio audience. Change sets, commercials,.. -NT - (Another Scott)

This is a test of the Emergency LRPD System. This is only a test.
66 ms