He's telling our government that without "regulation" to dictate terms to companies, they will export jobs.

He's telling our government that there are more qualified, less expensive workers in other countries.

Our government decided some time ago to not invest in universities or teaching money, sometime in the mid-1980's. And our sue happy culture has made it so that standards are completely relative, so we can't even tell anymore if a kid has met the requirements to pass a C programming class (and how hard is that?). Finally, donors to Universities are more interested in having a building named after them, than paying staff, so we have lots of campus buildings 1/2 or 1/3 full, falling into disrepair, because there's no money to staff the school, or repair the buildings.

With the comment about photons and electrons over the high-speed pipes, Grove is basically saying that the genie is out of the bottle with respect to being able to do the work anywhere.

He's asking a rhetorical question of "how does one stop it"? And his answer is, "be twice as productive as you are today".

But what good is that if a developer costs 1/5 as much? Do we need to be 5x more productive?

I guess my answer is that we NEED some amount of protectionism in the country. It is pure and simple fraud that China steals product design ideas and copies them. China imports products from North Korean slave labor camps and relabels them.

The bottom line is that unless regimes like North Korea fall, the world will spiral down to the point where we will all live and work in labor camps for barely enough to survive. Rebellion will mean death.

It is completely absurd to ask American companies to maintain large HR departments for complaints, EEOC, and lots of compliance issues, when workers in foreign countries either salaried and expected to work lots of unpaid overtime, or very inexpensive hourly.

Either we need to repeal our laws, or we need to charge tariffs when our laws are things we want to keep, but make our industry "uncompetitive".

I say "it's time" we backed off from some of our "globalization" push, and focus on things here at home.

Finally, an LRPDism.