Once you reach a certain level (whether it's called VP or something else) you get paid obscene amounts of money and take no real responsibility. I am being laid off because upper management has no real business plan and has managed the company into the ground. Yet, the VP in charge of my division didn't get fired but bumped sideways. He now has a brand new division to run which he can now manage into the ground as well. How many times when big companies lay off x% of the workforce do you hear of executives getting canned? They just get shifted around like the deck chairs on the Titanic. And, in the event that they do leave, they get a golden parachute so they have no financial worries for the rest of their life. There is no way that the CEO of any company is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. They are not the ones producing the products, innovating, etc. The people who do that are you and me, yet we are treated like dirt.

I don't have an answer, but I know that the current situation cannot continue much longer.