IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's a tricky barrier.
Unix man pages do represent a conundrum, I'll freely admit that. On the one hand, they will usually get used by people who need reminding about something, or just need a bit more information about an otherwise familar tool. This explains why they're written that way. On the other hand, this makes them difficult to use if you are not familiar with this philosophy. In fact, it can make merely learning a new tool difficult, even if you are familiar with how man pages often work. On the gripping hand, providing some sort of introductory version for that task merely postpones when they will read the "real" man page, probably also postponing the actual problem of understanding their purpose. :-/ On the fourth (!) hand, some sort of universal introduction-to-Unix-concepts wouldn't go all that astray. Migration documents usually do that job (e.g. Unix for DOS users) fairly well.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

New Distinguishing tutorials from references
Wade wrote:

In fact, it can make merely learning a new tool difficult, even if you are familiar with how man pages often work.

Hammers, being percussive tools, make poor screwdrivers. Manpages, being quick references, make deucedly poor tutorials. So, Don't Do That, Then.

On the fourth (!) hand, some sort of universal introduction-to-Unix-concepts wouldn't go all that astray.

Tutorial: "Running Linux"
Reference: "Linux in a Nutshell"

Mine other parts of the O'Reilly catalogue as required. (Their books mostly don't suck.)

If you mean a concepts-absolutely-universal-to-all-Unixes tutorial, probably "Life with Unix" is your ticket.

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New OT
On the fourth hand, [link|http://webonautics.com/mythology/images2/lakshmi.jpg|she] has some bracelets.
--

One Buffalo Bill
And one Biffalo Buff
     Need "Complete @#%@#% idiot's guide to Unix shell usage" - (inthane-chan) - (18)
         For bash programming - (drewk) - (7)
             I should probably rephrase. - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                 In that case ... - (drewk) - (1)
                     Thanks! -NT - (inthane-chan)
                 Hie thee to the One True Source of Truth - (kmself) - (2)
                     Cygwin is the stepping stone - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Turkey! - (kmself)
                 find a file find / -print|grep chunkafilename >foo & - (boxley)
         Re: Need "Complete @#%@#% idiot's guide to Unix shell usage" - (hnick) - (1)
             Thanks! -NT - (inthane-chan)
         IBM developerWorks Tutorials - (Steve Lowe)
         Not a #!/bin/bash book.... but - (folkert)
         It's hard to remember how I learnt what I know... - (static) - (4)
             Very good.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                 It's a tricky barrier. - (static) - (2)
                     Distinguishing tutorials from references - (rickmoen)
                     OT - (Arkadiy)
         Unix in a Nutshell - (tuberculosis)

Reason! Won't you put your blue dress on?
266 ms