IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New POP3 ASP Mail client
Here is the situation, [link|http://www.usscydonia.org|USS Cydonia] has had an Outlook Web ASP Client for their users. Recently, an Outlook virus, infected their server. This caused them to shut down the Outlook part. But now they have no web interface to their email. Being the Computer Science Officer of their crew, I am looking for alternatives to reading email. We have the POP3/SMTP services working, we just need an ASP client for free, or one that will work with NT/IIS. Any ideas?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Trek? Cool! Are they hiring, BTW?
What about server-based e-mail? That way you have less babysitting (viri cleanup) of each client. However, it may not work well if they use a lot of MS-Word, Excel, etc. But it might be great if they use mostly text.

"Non-profit" does not necessarily mean there are no paychecks. WorldVision is non-profit, but they have paid employees. I doubt this project fits that profile though.
Expand Edited by tablizer Oct. 9, 2001, 12:51:49 PM EDT
New USS Cydonia
They are not hiring, it is a Star Trek Fan Club that raises money for charity. You can join if you like, like I did, but they meet in the St. Louis, Missouri area. We sold cook books, had car washes, bake sales, and other things to raise money for charity. So doing anything would not be paid as they don't really make a lot of money. Just volunteer work.

It was Server based email, but their server caught a virus. I guess somehow due to the Windows exploits, that someone sent a virus to a server and somehow someone opened an infected email and it spread?

New Gone fishin'
down the ole searchin' hole... [link|http://www.aspfree.com/components/specificcat.asp?componentcatid=8&componentcatName=Email|Looky] whut I caught!

Hope this helps...

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Thanks, I will email my CO
with the info and see if he wants to use any of it.

New Grrrr, Exchange Server means no SMTP
We would need an ASP client to work with an Exchange Server, which disallows SMTP services when installed. Gotta love that Microsoft! :(

Now if I can just convince him to switch to Linux running PHP and MySQL, the problems would all be solved? ;)

New Re: Grrrr, Exchange Server means no SMTP
It does?

That's news to me :)

I think you'll find that Exchange (at least, 5.5 ones) servers do have SMTP enabled by default...

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New Yes but
no server component that works with those ASP controls/code. At least my CO tells me so.

POP3 ASP Mail client - (orion) - (7)
         Trek? Cool! Are they hiring, BTW? - (tablizer) - (1)
             USS Cydonia - (orion)
         Gone fishin' - (imric) - (1)
             Thanks, I will email my CO - (orion)
         Grrrr, Exchange Server means no SMTP - (orion) - (2)
             Re: Grrrr, Exchange Server means no SMTP - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Yes but - (orion)

Then again, I think our walls are made from the salvaged hulls of exotic alien spacecraft so YMMV.
44 ms