If they can genuinely provide a good product at a profit while meeting other social goals, why penalize them? That's counter to capitalist incentive.

\r\n\r\n

However, if the equivalent of ten days paid vacation, eight paid national holidays, family leave, employer-paid health care, and an employee investment/retirement program, is $5000 per year for a $10,000 oversees employee, then charge, say, a penalty of double the cost as an incentive to the company to provide these services.

\r\n\r\n

Note that I'm not saying "charge the domestic US cost of services", but "charge the cost for provision of equivalent services in the manufacturing company.

\r\n\r\n

If I understand corporate benefits programs correctly, there are already similar structures in place in the US for executive benefits such as health care and stock options programs. If a certain target participation level among staff isn't met, there are penalties applied to the execs. This comes both from statutory/regulatory penalties, and as terms imposed by large investment funds such as CalPERS and TIAA-CREF (a teachers insurance and retirement benefit if I understand correctly.

\r\n\r\n

Some of this is partial understanding or conjecture. But it's how I understand, and would like to see, things work.