IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I soloed today!
In a 1968, 115 hp Citabria 7ECA

[link|http://www.amerchampionaircraft.com/newac/aurora/aurspecs.htm|Sales picture and specs]

The plane made 3 takeoffs and landings, but my spirit hasn't made the third landing yet!! I figure I'll make the final full stop in a day or three.

I've got about 25 hours dual time so far (and 0.5 pilot in command). It took a while to get the feet to work the rudder properly for takeoffs and landings. Keeping them moving properly is quite important--you want the wreckage to go straight down the runway. My instructor said if I was learning in a 152, I would have soloed well before this. But I knew going in that the taildragger would take longer (I was hoping about 5 hours longer instead of 10, but what the heck.) The extra time did make me much, much more comfortable for solo. Though I must admit the butterflies set in about a hour before the flight.

Now it's on to cross countries, night flying, and mid-air refueling.

And I'm pretty worthless for work for the rest of the day.

Brian Bronson
New Re: I soloed today!
Congratulations! I'm sure you must be on Cloud 9! ;)

Seriously, good work!

Nightowl >8#
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum"

Comment by Nightowl
New ... and carrier landing! :-) Congrats!!!
New Ooh, hadn't thought of that
In fact, that might be easier than landing on land. The carrier's up and down motion due to the seas complements the weaving and swaying of the airplane to result in a perfectly greased touchdown!!

Maybe I should ask the Navy to bring back the Wolverine (a paddlewheel steamship converted to a training aircraft carrier during WWII; used on Lake Michigan).

Brian Bronson
New Good show, Brian!
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New Re: I soloed today! - CONGRATS - Great feeling that 1st one

When you get the chance, give us all a minute by minute for both the take-off & the 'finals'

Cheers

Doug
New Hmmm, minute by minute?
Well, as soon as I closed up the plane to pull on to the runway, I was looking forward to landing and pulling off, so I could open up the window and turn on the A/C! It was a hot and humid Wisconsin day.

The first thing I noticed when I pushed in the throttle was that the tail came up almost immediately. Takeoff went well, and I got off the ground pretty quick. Then climbing out I noticed over 500 fpm. What a difference a 10-15% drop in AC weight makes in performance! I was on my crosswind leg well before I got to the end of the runway (rwy 28 at KUES is about 5500'). Not something to which I was accustomed.

Run the before landing checklist, everything fine. Got a bit low on final, so I added about 100 rpm (and hoped my instructor didn't notice!). Lined up just right, a bit of left aileron for the 1-2 kt crosswind. Okay, flare--and realize that I've flared just a bit too high as I bounce it in. I keep it on the ground on the second bounce. But it was pretty close to the numbers, and the bounce wasn't too bad. I pull off the active and turn the A/C back on while I taxi back for my second takeoff.

The second landing went pretty well, and the third one was so-so. All of them were full stall landings. I've done wheel landings, but I'm not as proficient with them, so my instructor said full stalls.

I had a lesson with my instructor Tuesday. Practiced stalls, turns around a point, and S-turns over a road. And landings, of course. If the weather holds, I have another lesson this afternoon, and I might get soloed out to the practice area.

Brian Bronson
New Re: I soloed today!
Oh how jealous I am. If ever there were a born pilot, he's writing these words - but 9/11 ruined flying for me. I don't want to fall, I don't want to splatter. I hate metal.
-drl
New Well done!
My favorite part of training was solo X-C's. You've really got something to look forward to, and have already accomplished much! You're already in a very small minority of the rest of the world - you've been PIC!
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
     I soloed today! - (bbronson) - (8)
         Re: I soloed today! - (Nightowl)
         ... and carrier landing! :-) Congrats!!! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Ooh, hadn't thought of that - (bbronson)
         Good show, Brian! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: I soloed today! - CONGRATS - Great feeling that 1st one - (dmarker) - (1)
             Hmmm, minute by minute? - (bbronson)
         Re: I soloed today! - (deSitter)
         Well done! - (mmoffitt)

What a cruddy, unimaginative anti-climax.
45 ms