IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Er..
that's 1 G.

F=\ufffdN has its uses, and 'gearing' can allow sorta exceeding 1 G with slicks, burned-in - But.. I'd still want to know how the timing, term. velocity #s were arrived at. That number allows for 0-tire slip and perfect adhesion throughout the run, from the first foot to V=88'/sec.

Y'know?

Ashton Skeptic

New Yeah, it is :)
-drl
New I'd have thought you of all people would know
As long as the angle between the thrust vector and the weight vector stays below the line through the CG and the rear contact patch you can top 1G. (More thrust and you go over, of course.) The tire can slip and still produce more than enough force for that, though I know the numbers were produced by a pro-level rider, so I doubt there was much wheelspin.

As you can infer from what I just said, the numbers were produced by a pro rider. All the bike mags use them.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Re: I'd have thought you of all people would know
Right. Personally, I'd be lucky to get 3.5 seconds - but I may see on the way home :) Roll-ons are much easier, just keep the front wheel under you :)
-drl
New Tilt.
You are talking about moments around the CG; that's about architecture. I'm talking about the simplest model of friction - which admittedly cannot be strictly applied to the intricate 'gearing' possibilities of certain prepared surfaces (the stationary one and that which is in shear normal to such).

That 'N' *means* 'Normal'! ie perpendicular - and idealized surfaces that do Not 'gear'. (Would Millikan-Roller-Watson lie?)

Anyway it's academic, and I concur - a Pro can elicit such performances, all else working perfectly - and only via a >1.0 value of \ufffd = not a lot different concept from ~ being a bit North of the North Pole.. Significant improvement over that value ==> rocket-type science. ;-)

Ashton
New Not really
To achieve >1G accel, straight-line or radial, all you need is for the contact to support a combined moment angle <45 degrees from the surface. I just tested a stapler on a book on my desk at a >45 degree angle and it stayed. I don't have any studies to point to, but it seems pretty obvious surfaces can provide more than enough friction to hold >1G forces.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Er - static vs. rolling/sliding 'friction'. Etc.
     Honda Rules - (SpiceWare) - (30)
         Donchya have one of those? - (folkert) - (28)
             Yep (52KB photo) - (SpiceWare) - (27)
                 So... - (folkert) - (26)
                     haven't driven the others - (SpiceWare) - (25)
                         My only experience with that feeling.. - (bepatient) - (3)
                             Wanted one of those - (SpiceWare)
                             BeeP - yer &^#$@# SPoiled.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 It gets frequent use... - (bepatient)
                         Re: haven't driven the others - (deSitter) - (9)
                             wow - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                 How bout this - (deSitter)
                             Er.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                 Yeah, it is :) -NT - (deSitter)
                                 I'd have thought you of all people would know - (drewk) - (4)
                                     Re: I'd have thought you of all people would know - (deSitter)
                                     Tilt. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         Not really - (drewk) - (1)
                                             Er - static vs. rolling/sliding 'friction'. Etc. -NT - (Ashton)
                         That's so true! (lol) - (Mike) - (1)
                             thanx! - (SpiceWare)
                         Muah. - (admin) - (8)
                             true - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                                 Mustang GTs are sloooow. - (admin) - (6)
                                     you'd never get away with that down here - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                                         Surprisingly, I drove a car with no AC in VA for a while. - (admin) - (4)
                                             those temps look nice - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                                                 Atypical. - (admin) - (2)
                                                     I thought the temps looked low too - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                                                         Now that site is a time sink... -NT - (admin)
         Must be Honda's month - (SpiceWare)

Hence these societies employ their own versions of summary judgment and Rule 11 of the aforementioned Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.
60 ms