IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I may notice, or I may notice something different
As Gould is fond of pointing out at great length, the theme of life over long periods of time is simply greater diversity. Sometimes that means becoming more complex. Sometimes less. For instance parasites tend to perfect themselves through minimalism.

The increasing complexity that we are so fond of noticing is just the leading edge of an expanding variety of forms of life. However for all of history, and for the forseeable future, the bulk of life by number, mass, and sheer variety are single-celled bacteria.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Unless you look at the smallest viable unit.
In particular parasites are minimalist because they aren't complete. They cannot be regarded without their host. All other life is just as interdependent, though not so immediately so.

A human body is made up of a great many separate lifeforms, and some are pretty independent too. The whole cannot survive without all the parts. Where do you want to draw the line to individuate this? A white blood cell probably feels pretty individual. It's all in how you want to look at it.

No living being can survive without the others. Even simple single celled photosynthetic plants cannot survive alone, because they'd eventually drown in their own waste product, oxygen, and at points in the distant past came fairly close. Fortunately, some fungi like item developed into larger and more complex critters called "animals" to sop up some of that oxygen (yes, fungi are genetically considered animals).

So taking the world organism as a whole, since that's the smallest viable unit, it is growing in complexity. Increasing diversity is part of that, as is the development of it's leading edge cells, which we are pleased to presume are ourselves.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New The smallest viable unit is smaller than that...
The ecosystems at hydrothermal vents are self-contained enough to survive indefinitely if we went away.

The ecosystems living deep inside rock (basically just a few bacteria over a huge volume - possibly as much as half of the Earth's biomass) again wouldn't notice for a while if we destroyed everything upstairs.

And note that neither of these units needs us, and the more stable one (rock-bacteria) is not very diverse.

We still lose.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     Must we...? - (tseliot) - (33)
         Re: Must we...? - (deSitter) - (5)
             Nice try. - (tseliot) - (2)
                 Hmm. A couple of passages. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Always a "yes, but" :) - (tseliot)
             Sorry, I've got to. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Well said; hadn't thought about that before. -NT - (tseliot)
         here's a take from about 45 years ago - (rcareaga)
         Omnipotent with a twisted sense of humor -NT - (boxley)
         An interesting synchronicity with your sig. - (Ashton) - (1)
             Meh. Narrow is the way. -NT - (tseliot)
         Yank chain . . . big noise! - (Andrew Grygus) - (22)
             Did Tommy really write that? And you're quoting Pete. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Re: Did Tommy really write that? And you're quoting Pete. - (Andrew Grygus)
             Synchronicity... - (admin) - (1)
                 Betcha - (Ashton)
             Question: - (tseliot) - (12)
                 Evidence? I thought we were discussing religion. - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                     Not necessarily - (tseliot) - (7)
                         From the viewpoint of "God is Without Limit" . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             I think I made it clear earlier in this thread... - (tseliot)
                         To speak of Reality! - (Ashton) - (4)
                             G_d exists, we see or dont see in different ways - (boxley) - (1)
                                 If you Could 'describe' - (Ashton)
                             And once again, you're doing the very thing you rail against -NT - (tseliot) - (1)
                                 Heh.. only if you imagine - (Ashton)
                     I may notice, or I may notice something different - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Unless you look at the smallest viable unit. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             The smallest viable unit is smaller than that... - (ben_tilly)
             'No-Thing-ness' - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Exactly - (deSitter)
             God is hard to define - (orion) - (2)
                 Re: God is hard to define - umm Really ?? - (Ashton) - (1)
                     Shine the light of truth, brother! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
95 ms