IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Lets call it what it is.
Innocent people have already died, around 6000 of them in one day. Plenty more innocents will die, maybe thousands more, maybe tens of thousands.

You know the perpetrators will make every effort to maximize the number of their own innocents who will be killed by any action we take. Noncombatants are of no value to them except as body counts.

Sad? No, it's infuriating. The guilty can never be sufficiently punished.

This is war, yes, it is war. Lets not try to "pretty it up".
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New It's a matter of perspective, in my opinion.
These hate-filled people have declared war but we haven't attacked any nations, races, religions or peoples. Why? We don't want to escalate this into a war.
Am I wrong?

This is a fight against terrorism and those the perpetrate it. These murderers may enjoy killing innocent women and children but America and the rest of the World does not. We have grown past that stage.

That is my opinion and I am sticking by it. Sometimes you just have to have faith. Now is one of those times.
New I'll take it you are serious.
Here is a possible scenario -

Unfortunately.. 'killing' is not always so dramatic and so wholesale as - as what we all saw on 9/11. If it were, every time, just maybe it would be more in our collective nature to actively seek *and find* non-lethal solutions to our squabbles (usually over control of the Earth's resources; whatever is said about "Gods' Wills").

Perhaps next, via our techno: each death could be shown in slo-mo, million-color as the piece of some object flattens a living human, one loved by someone else who must next contemplate: What To Do about This killing. Next ??
These hate-filled people have declared war but we haven't attacked any nations, races, religions or peoples. Why? We don't want to escalate this into a war.
As a species - we seem unable to be honest about what we are actually killing about, each time: and this time. And next.

Leaders get away with the platitudes because those are what we want to believe. This must be the case, otherwise their 'logic' (for the next groups of 19-year-old cannon fodder: ALWAYS somebody's children) - would be ridiculed for its patent absurdity. (Kuwait wasn't about oil. Grenada was a threat to 'national security'.)

Those who blame.. America? the idea of America? the past actions of those covert operations allegedly the ~"will of Americans" ?? etc. may or may not have each story straight -- but carry around the hatred of that which they are "sure enough" -- caused the death, injury of some *one person* close to them. Sometimes this 'causality' is a tortured syllogism, leading to a comfortable target for the grief caused. Maybe other times - the causality is unmistakeable (?) Ask a Chilean who loved Allende - for just one specimen.

(Others will settle for the hearsay and the admonitions of their local.. Authority figures) As here: remember the cold war? First Strike? (might be the only way to survive: nuke Them All first!). Was it overall any more cerebral, less a visceral reaction than: kill a Commie for Christ ?

This attitude began while.. WW-II was winding down and it became obvious that: Stalin wasn't about to withdraw from the occupied E. Eur. countries. Finally *after decades* a Gorbachev appeared and Enough! was declared. Miraculously no one used a single nuke -- but it was Very close in 10/62.

(Almost) nobody is 'innocent' of willingly believing stereotypes about opponents - always generated so as to de-humanize the ones in Your crosshairs. Or turning a blind eye to one's own machinations - for advantage. (If the target isn't *really* human, then you aren't really killing people.. just.. The Enemy.)

Were you unfamiliar with this process? Last I looked: it's still the main one. Truth re motives is not this species' strong suit, y'notice?

HTH

Ashton

New Are you suggesting we can't change?
I thought free will was a given.

Let he who is without sin throw the first stone.
New Re: Are you suggesting we can't change?
Language was invented that men could disguise their thoughts from each other

In love, war, bizness, sports, science (in the pursuit of tenure), religion (in the pursuit of appearing Right-eous) ... Have I missed some?

Art, music - more honest - there are no words and beauty needs none. (Even bad art is at least authentic. Unless it's selling something - then it isn't art anyway.)

Free will? Change our nature? Sorry - don't know what that means. Another problem with our species: there is little agreement even about, ~"what it means to Be"! let alone.. 'to be human'.

A.
New Free will?
Are you saying the Arabic people (Palestinians, Afghanistanis, Iraqis, many others) who are constantly harranged at how evil Israel and American and the west in general are can truly be said to have free will?

We (using "we" as in most of the western democracies) are bombarded with politicians, TV talking heads, editorials, advertising, and whatnot, so in that respect it could be said that we are constantly being brainwashed - but that's nothing compared to the hatred that seems to spew out of the middle east.
Who knows how empty the sky is
In the place of a fallen tower.
Who knows how quiet it is in the home
Where a son has not returned.

-- Anna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
New Appropriate, almost eerie Akhmatova quote. Another sample -
When you're drunk it's so much fun --
Your stories don't make sense.
An early fall has strung
The elms with yellow flags.

We've strayed into the land of deceit
And we're repenting bitterly,
Why then are we smiling these
Strange and frozen smiles?

We wanted piercing anguish
Instead of placid happiness. . .
I won't abandon my comrade,
So dissolute and mild.

1911 (Paris)
-- translated by Judith Hemschemeyer
And a brief comment from:

[link|http://dybka.home.mindspring.com/jill/akhmatova/|About the poet]
Anna Andreevna Akhmatova (1889-1966)
"Anna Andreevna Akhmatova used poetry to give voice to the struggles and deepest yearnings of the Russian people, for whom she remains the greatest of literary heroines. She has lately come to symbolize for the world even beyond Russia the power of art to survive and transcend the terrors of our century."
Judith Hemschemeyer, A Stranger to Heaven and Earth

Thanks for reminding about her.

A.

New Everyone has free will.
Some just choose to blame others for their lack of it.

P.S. Free will is a biblical concept that states that God allows good and evil in this world and it is up to us to choose which side we prefer to show the world.

There will always be those that choose evil over good but sometimes you just have to have faith that there are more good people in this world than evil people, and also that the good people will stand up to the violent minority and conquer evil?

Do you disagree with me again?

Remember what I stated before? All you need is love.
You answered: "Should we love them to death?!"
My silent answer was Yes.
Peace be with you. Choose love, not hate.
New Again, a Jeezmoid demonstrates a sadly narrow point of view.
The Brettster:
P.S. Free will is a biblical concept that states that God allows good and evil in this world and it is up to us to choose which side we prefer to show the world.
Funny, I thought the question of predestination vs free will was a *philosophical* -- as in, each puny religion is just one (stupidly superstitious backwater) sub-sector of the wider catregory -- concept.

But, hey, if it's an important question, then of course it _MUST_ be "biblical" (NB, they're not even letting the *other* stupid old superstitions get a look in), right...?

Shee-eesh!
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Your catch phrase says it all.
BTW, did you notice I mentioned I am new to religion?
You, on the other hand, know everything about everything.

Sorry to offend you.

Peace.
New Don't know but...
Funny, I thought the question of predestination vs free will was a *philosophical* -- as in, each puny religion is just one (stupidly superstitious backwater) sub-sector of the wider catregory -- concept.
I would think that the more general concept in Philosophy is defined in terms of Behaviorism - i.e. whether we simply react to stimili or whether we can truly transcend our impulses.

Anyhow, I'm not sure that the question of predistination versus free will really has much meaning outside a theological context (and really not much meaning there except to tie up some loose ends about the "chosen" ones).
New You got a problem with the Bible saying stuff?
Is it intruding on philosophy's turf? And are you sure you know who was there first?

And last but not least: was your reaction the result of free will, or was it strictly deterministic?

[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New I swallowed your bait, hook, line & sinker.
And here I was supposed to be on the look-out for flame bait.
My bad. ):
New On second thought I'm not sure what to call it?
Awful comes to mind.

I see your point and I sorta see my previous point.

Either way we are fighting evil, that is for sure.
     America appears to be winning this new style war .... - (dmarker2) - (24)
         give it a month and they will all starve to death :( - (boxley)
         Let's call it a battle instead. - (brettj) - (14)
             Lets call it what it is. - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                 It's a matter of perspective, in my opinion. - (brettj) - (11)
                     I'll take it you are serious. - (Ashton) - (10)
                         Are you suggesting we can't change? - (brettj) - (9)
                             Re: Are you suggesting we can't change? - (Ashton)
                             Free will? - (wharris2) - (7)
                                 Appropriate, almost eerie Akhmatova quote. Another sample - - (Ashton)
                                 Everyone has free will. - (brettj) - (5)
                                     Again, a Jeezmoid demonstrates a sadly narrow point of view. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                         Your catch phrase says it all. - (brettj)
                                         Don't know but... - (ChrisR)
                                         You got a problem with the Bible saying stuff? - (marlowe)
                                         I swallowed your bait, hook, line & sinker. - (brettj)
                 On second thought I'm not sure what to call it? - (brettj)
         Coalition: virtually the entire world in support - (brettj) - (7)
             The backpedaling will now commence. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 How much you want to bet... - (bepatient) - (5)
                     Won't take it - (wharris2)
                     Not a chance i'll take that bet . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         LoL -NT - (bepatient)
                     Well, got one word for ya - actually two: - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Considering the amount... - (bepatient)

with the hot blonde.
105 ms