IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Harvesting from z.iwethey?
Is or has any organization or group been trying to harvest Email addresses from ziwethey?

I ask because soon after the migration from ezboard began, I started noticing a sharp increase in the amount of Spam I was getting on a daily basis. Whereas I used to maybe get one or two a day, I'm lucky to get by with as few as half a dozen nowdays.
I know, I know, spamsters can come from almost anywhere, a cracked subscriber list, newsgroups (though I haven't posted in ages), and the timeframe was probably pure cooincidence anyway, etc. etc. And the server logs from that timeframe are probably no longer available anyway. Just thought I'd ask.

(And yes, that is one reason I have created a couple of alternate personas, just to see if I can track some of this spam to a particular place. The other reason is that I do occasionally want to post things that I might not want to have others [eg, perhaps somebody at my company or a future employer] associate with me.)
Rest in peace, Jeremy, Mark, Thomas, and whoever else who helped overpower the hijackers on Flight 93.
New Where would they get them from.
Unless you actually post it...theres not really any way to access the preferences on a group basis.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: Where would they get them from.
It might follow links from my name to my profile to my Email address. (I have it in my current profile.) A good crawler can crawl all over the place. And a harvester can certainly ignore any nocrawl directives.
Rest in peace, Jeremy, Mark, Thomas, and whoever else who helped overpower the hijackers on Flight 93.
New But...but....
....only you can access your profile...and only after you log in...

New Plus.
Notice that there's nothing to see if you link on someone else's profile link.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New A more plausible conspiracy theory...
...would have to do with our former hosts trying to cut their losses sometime soon after our departure (if you catch my drift). Just a theory though with no proof forthcoming.
New Well, hopefully I can spring a few trapdoors
Now that you mention it, I checked my ezboard profile and saw that I had the "publicize Email address" option checked. (clicking it off.)

Before I start prowling, though, I am going to wait a little while to see if Microsoft themselves spams me...

Hmmm, another plausible hypothesis is that now that Google is back with dejanews postings, spamsters might be trying to harvest from old newsgroup postings. Wonder if Google has antispam measures in place?
New Anti-Spam measures
I try not to make my email address public. I usually use a Hotmail or Yahoo mail address if I do, so that the "Bulk/Junk" folder can get the spam and all I do is "Empty Folder" every once in a while.

orion_blastar@hotmail.com

Now let's see if the Spammers send to that account. It is a realtively new one with 0% spam at the momment. I haven't posted it anywhere yet. So this is an experiment to see if someone is really harvesting IWETHEY accounts?

Picking up the pieces of my broken life.
New Of course they'll get that one.
You put it in a public area that can be accessed by anyone.

The worry was that it was somehow being harvested from the profiles...which are not accessible to the public at large.

Harvesting from z.iwethey? - (wharris2) - (8)
         Where would they get them from. - (bepatient) - (3)
             Re: Where would they get them from. - (wharris2) - (1)
                 But...but.... - (bepatient)
             Plus. - (static)
         A more plausible conspiracy theory... - (ChrisR) - (3)
             Well, hopefully I can spring a few trapdoors - (wharris2) - (2)
                 Anti-Spam measures - (orion) - (1)
                     Of course they'll get that one. - (bepatient)

Not such a bad thing, to be farmed by rats...
67 ms