IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: ICLRPD
Ports is "Nice"? How do you figure that out?

It's insane!

Install something fundamental, like exim, and all of a sudden exim's config files are in /usr/local/etc! Apparently, this made sense to someone who was sat up the UNIX mountain and who wanted to separate "the base system" from "the site-specific stuff".

Unfortunately, an MTA *is* part of any "base system" in the real world. I suspect that the REAL reason for the whole "we use /usr/local for everything not in the base system" is that most of the software in /usr/ports is ass, and not subject to any quality control over and above "does it compile when one types 'make install'?". Separate it out from "the base system", and all of a sudden the FreeBSD people have a LOT less software to worry about. Sure, Galeon2 doesn't work from ports (it just opens a bazillion windows and then segfaults), but that's SEP[0], right?

I'm intrigued by FreeBSD, and I want to know more. One of the primary reasons for using it that I've had relayed to me is that it's "better quality" than Linux.

So far, I'm really, really not seeing that. Granted, if your idea of Linux is Slackware or Mandrake, then I might see where you're coming from. I subscribe to debian-devel. These people are absolutely religious about quality.

Right now, FreeBSD is looking pretty darn poor compared to Debian.

[0] SEP: Someone Else's Problem

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
Expand Edited by pwhysall June 2, 2003, 08:45:37 AM EDT
New The good, the bad and the ugly.
The good part of ports is pretty much the same things that makes Debian's package management so highly-regarded - things like a central repository of managed packages with intelligent dependancy management.

The bad part of ports is that it's on BSD.

The ugly part of ports is that so many packages install into /usr/local.

Actually, the lack of coherent SysV startup logic is what I dislike the most about BSD. That and how far behind Linux so many tools appear to be (for instance, ps on a not-very-recent Linux has nearly a hundred switches; on a modern FreeBSD it has a mere two dozen). But /usr/local/etc comes a close third.

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

I'm gonna be a pundit. - (pwhysall) - (6)
         go home to BSD? :-) -NT - (boxley) - (5)
             No way :) - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 ICLRPD - (static) - (3)
                     ICLRPD take two. (new thread) - (static)
                     Re: ICLRPD - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         The good, the bad and the ugly. - (static)

Tasteful, translucent, understated...it was the most charming, pleasant system crash I've ever experienced.
36 ms