IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Help! VPN not working in XP :(
My DSL provider (Verizon) supports use of VPN on broadband.

My employer has given me all the information regarding VPN that I need in order to access it.

Linksys has documentation on how to set up the forwarding info on their router.

But I still can't log in to my company's network.

When I bypass the router and connect to the DSL modem directly, I still can't do it... so it's not a router problem.

Verizon's website *claims* it allows VPN access (but it doesn't provide support for it).

So... that leaves the operating system... Windows XP Professional. I bet one of those damned fixpacks killed VPN support.

Anyone had any luck using XP in this manner?

!@#$%^ Windows.
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New I have here on a compaq laptop running xp
the dsl that verizon gives me is ppoe over vpn. Unfortunately the install disk verizon gave me does all the magic settings. If you are using a verizon dsl product like vzavenue.net you are using a ppoe vpn connection already so setting up a tunnel over and existing vpn pipe to your employer is going to dead end at the other end of verizons vpn at the redback router that services the dslam you are connected to via the copper pair. So first, check your ppoe settings or verizon docs to see if you are already using vpn to access the internet. If not try the verizon help desk anyway, I work near a verizon call center and some of them can be helpful even though they dont support it. Beggars luck though. Which vpn product are you using to get to work?
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

"I hit him so hard in the head his dog shat a turd in the shape of Jesus" Leonard Pine
New The version is
XP's built-in VPN dialer... whatever that is.

Are you saying pppoe is VPN? Because I am using a pppoe connection...
- Edward Young
New no ppoe is not a vpn just that when installing the
software for my verizon setup on a compaq laptop with xp it indicated a vpn was being used to connect me to the internet. On my mac it is a straight ppoe connection, ppoe== point to point over ethernet connectivity. Unfortunately most places that use vpn prefer a public address to public address connection without having to go between a proxy and heartily deny support for proxied net addy's it isnt impossible but requires more work on the providers side to accomplish this which is why it isnt supported very well. If work was supplying the connection it would be easy but with a different provider who has to "pipe" the vpn to you and maintain the connection end to end it is considered extry work. If you had dialup it is a no brainer or many companies use uunet to provide the connectivity to do the vpn end to end.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

"I hit him so hard in the head his dog shat a turd in the shape of Jesus" Leonard Pine
New Ah, ok.
Well, I don't know how it works with the direct connection, but through the linksys router, it's just using standard ppoe to make the connection. None of the Verizon software gets used...
- Edward Young
New your works tech support any help?

New To an extent.
They even let me bring the PC in so they could work with it. Problem is, it's hard to test a vpn connection from within the network you're trying to connect to... :)

I think the problem may simply be that XP's VPN tools are funky. Maybe I'll have to call Microsoft tech support.

*shudder*
- Edward Young
New are you trying to connect to a cisco at their end?
try downloading cisco's client stuff.
thanx,
bill

New I don't know if I am or not.
But I'll check Monday.
- Edward Young
New LOL
The problem was that the login id and password they set up for me had mysteriously "disappeared." I guess they had to restore from an earlier backup, or something.

Hopefully that will solve the problem. :)

- Edward Young
     Help! VPN not working in XP :( - (cwbrenn) - (9)
         I have here on a compaq laptop running xp - (boxley) - (8)
             The version is - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                 no ppoe is not a vpn just that when installing the - (boxley) - (6)
                     Ah, ok. - (cwbrenn) - (5)
                         your works tech support any help? -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                             To an extent. - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                                 are you trying to connect to a cisco at their end? - (boxley) - (2)
                                     I don't know if I am or not. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                         LOL - (cwbrenn)

The annual lizardfall in the Monterey preserve of California approaches 4,800 lizards per acre per year.
93 ms