IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Funny, I started thinking that as I was overcorrecting
on my first takeoff with the instructor in the back! But the Citabria is a very forgiving aircraft as long as the wheels aren't on the ground. Beware the groundloop. It'll be a bit harder learning in a taildragger, but all the pilots I know tell me I'll be a better pilot for it. Of course, they're all taildragger pilots, so...

If the flying goes well and the weather cooperates, I should solo Septemberish. Since I'm in Wisconsin, I can count the the weather screwing me more than once, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Brian Bronson
New What the situ re min hours prior solo ?
When I learned, things were pretty casual & was sent aloft solo after 15 hrs instructor training. I suspect that may have changed quite a bit.

My original starting point was the ole faithful Cessna 152. Damned thing could almost fly & land itself, pilot was mostly there to mess things up or change direction, 'cept in a cross-wind landing - Pilot was really needed then. Cross-wind landings are really good fun (seriously). But cross-wind gusting conditions are the evil that can be lurking for the unwary.

Sept seems a long way off ?

Cheers

Doug

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
Expand Edited by dmarker May 15, 2003, 11:49:45 PM EDT
New Don't have my 'bible' with me
The feds require 20 hours with an instructor and 20 hours solo for the private license. I'm anticipating the bulk of the instructor time would come prior to soloing, but I'm not sure if there's a hard requirement of hours. Tack on the increased difficulty of learning in a taildragger (ie, a REAL airplane) which should be good for a few hours extra. Plan for 2 hours per week and factor in weather in Wisconsin. That takes me into at least August.

I don't think I've ever been in a 152, but that's what most people learn in here, and for good reason. It's an easy plane to learn in. Of course, they can be a pain to land. If it's calm and somebody sneezes in the tower just before you touch down, plan on staying in ground effect for another minute or so! Usually it's either a 152 or the Piper Tomahawk (bleeeeach!) Pipers are fine, just not the Traumahawk-butt ugly; spindly little landing gear.

Brian Bronson
New Tail draggers scared the bejabbers out of me eva since ...
I saw a group of them (WWII vet craft) taking off at Oshkosh. The lead plane's engine failed just before he was to lift off & he slowed down, the next 2 behind him saw what had happened & pulled off the runway, 4th was at full throttle & had not seen #1 stop & begin to taxi off (couldn't see the runway over his nose) and went right into the back of #1 & cartwheeled down the runway on fire.

I think the ones I saw were something like Bobcats or Hellcats ?. (###2 Was a bearcat & a corsair - see links below)

Horrific sight - I think the pilot lived but no one expected him to.

If your t/d has good runway visibility then I am sure you won't have that kind of problem. I guess the biggest problem to avoid is the nose over (don't apply full brakes when up on wheels & tail hasn't settled :-).

Cheers

Doug

###2
It seems the pilot of the cartwheeling craft is paralysed from the chest down.

[link|http://www.aafo.com/racing/news/99/07-31-99.htm|http://www.aafo.com/...s/99/07-31-99.htm] 1999 crash details

[link|http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/jul99/eaasid31073099.asp|http://www.jsonline....aasid31073099.asp] more info

[link|http://www.myplane.com/oshkosh/corsair1.asp|http://www.myplane.c...kosh/corsair1.asp] photos of the crash as it occured

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
Expand Edited by dmarker May 18, 2003, 06:53:28 AM EDT
New My 2.
These days, most pilots solo with between 15-20 hours, and more towards the 20 hour mark. As with everything pertaining to flight instruction, YMMV. I solo'd with just under 19 hours. I think AOPA did a survey recently and the average number of hours prior to solo was 20.x or something. At my little field in the past two years (my flying time), I haven't seen anyone solo with fewer than 17 hours and most are in the 21-23 hour range.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
     Took my first flying lesson today - (bbronson) - (22)
         After I win the lottery - (jbrabeck) - (1)
             I decided to split the difference - (bbronson)
         Nice - (deSitter)
         I will not be taking flying lessons. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I can't swim OR fly, so what the heck - (bbronson)
         Envy! - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
             Sorry, but didn't you just say... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 heh :) pun wasn't intentional, this time -NT - (Steve Lowe)
             Same here - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Yup, born that way. - (Steve Lowe)
         Best of luck & all good fortune to you - (dmarker) - (5)
             Funny, I started thinking that as I was overcorrecting - (bbronson) - (4)
                 What the situ re min hours prior solo ? - (dmarker) - (3)
                     Don't have my 'bible' with me - (bbronson) - (1)
                         Tail draggers scared the bejabbers out of me eva since ... - (dmarker)
                     My 2. - (mmoffitt)
         ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
         THAT IS GREAT! - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             Thanks (and NEVER; taildraggers RULE dood!) ;-) - (bbronson) - (3)
                 C172A - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     That's a good airplane - (bbronson) - (1)
                         You'll want your instrument rating. - (mmoffitt)