IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New New NOTAM for the DC area...
(Notice to Airmen - info about flight conditions/restrictions. An FDC notam is regulatory in nature (as opposed to local (my local airport has the night lights off, so there's a NOTAM for that, if you tell a Flight Service Station you're going into there), and opposed to one due to weather/hurricane/volcanic eruption).

!GPS 09/007 ZDC GPS UNRELIABLE WITHIN A 100 NM RADIUS OF PATUXENT /PXT/
VORTAC AT 10,000 FT MSL THROUGH FL400, AND DECREASING IN AREA WITH
DECREASE IN ALTITUDE TO 80 NM RADIUS AT 4000 FT AGL. 1200-2000 DLY WEF
0109241200-0109282000

Of course, telling us that might not help all that much.... But people have asked could GPS be scrambled? Apparently yes. :)

Addison
New Re: New NOTAM for the DC area...
Testing out GPS blocking systems? I had heard that in wartime the GPS would just be "shutdown". Don't want the enemy to find us.

BTW, I've heard there's already a "secret" GPS which the military uses. Much more accurate than current commercial GPS (which is about 800 ft. accurate) and it is encrypted.

So I say, just shut it down.

New Can't, now.
There's too much living on it.

Testing out GPS blocking systems? I had heard that in wartime the GPS would just be "shutdown". Don't want the enemy to find us.

Supposedly, the Chinese have one up there, that would work just as well.

The problem is that GPS is now being used for lots of navigational aids, especially in airplanes (not all of the airlines have them), (might have been part of the grounding issue, last week)...

But the military will be using them, and often they have to use Civilian equipment. (as a coworker was telling me (ex-Green Beret) they'd go buy the *lightest* stuff they could). Like during Desert Shield/storm - they couldn't buy the military stuff fast enough, so they bought off-the-shelf civvie stuff.

And besides, I bought my Garmin 195, so shaddup already. :)

Besides, who's going to use it with what to target us?

Addison
New GPS and secrets
There are two GPS signals: P and C/A.

There are two GPS frequencies: L1 and L2. Don't remember the numbers -- a gigahertz and a half or so.

Both L1 and L2 carry the P signal. The P signal is encrypted, and only military and military-related users can get the code for it. The P-code is accurate to roughly one meter, partly because it can use both frequencies. The frequencies are different enough that they can be used to determine atmospheric distortions.

The L1 frequency also carries the C/A signal. C/A stands for "coarse/acquisition", and was originally designed as a first approximation for receivers using the P-code. Any GPS receiver will start up more quickly if it has an approximate location to start with; finding out where you are in the world is the slow part. The C/A signal is not encrypted, and is accurate to about 10 meters if the Air Force allows it. At Falcon AFB near Colorado Springs is a tiltup building; somewhere in that building is a computer. Typing the right strings into that computer engages "selective availability", which induces errors in the C/A signal. Selective Availability can be set from zero (as now) to "somewhere on the planet". When it's used, it's normally set for 100 meters accuracy with 95% confidence.

When civilian users started using GPS in earnest the U.S. Government started calling the C/A code the "Standard Positioning Service" or SPS. That's what your Garmin uses; it's also what any civilian GPS receiver uses. SA was in effect from the late 80s up until 1999, except for during Desert Storm; as noted above, military receivers were in short supply, so the military bought thousands of civilian receivers [assuring the early profitability of Trimble and Garmin :-)] and turned SA off for that period. In the mid-eighties, the Europeans started campaigning for their own GPS system, because they didn't trust the United States not to turn the system off on them. In response, President Clinton ordered SA turned off, and promised [I think it's an EO] that it won't be turned back on again except in the case of a declared war.

The original reason for SA was to deny, e.g., Saddam Hussein the opportunity of stuffing your $300 Garmin in the nose of a SCUD missile and nuking the White House. That point was made moot by the invention of Real Time Correction Messages, which I won't go into without a specific request. :-) But with SA off, the military worries. There are several methods of jamming GPS; the most sophisticated is to set up a "pseudolite", a radio transmitter that sends simulated GPS signals with wrong data on them. That's what this sounds like.
Regards,
Ric
New Link?
Spent a half hour trying to dig it out of [link|http://www.faa.gov/|www.faa.gof] and [link|http://www.aopa.org/|www.aopa.org], but no dice.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Sorry, Seen On Usenet (TM) (R) (C).
     New NOTAM for the DC area... - (addison) - (5)
         Re: New NOTAM for the DC area... - (gdaustin) - (2)
             Can't, now. - (addison)
             GPS and secrets - (Ric Locke)
         Link? - (kmself) - (1)
             Sorry, Seen On Usenet (TM) (R) (C). -NT - (addison)

We have wet blue cow.
103 ms