IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK....You stick with ezBug...
I'm staying here. They've pushed a few too many of my buttons a few too many times.
-YendorMike

In order to understand recursion, one must understand recursion.
New I'll stick with EzBug for now
they do seem to fix the bugs, only very very slowly. I just don't want to contribute to jamming up the ZIWETHEY server for most of my posts and reads until it gets better bandwidth.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Fixing bugs...
I don't think EZBoard has ever gotten around to fixing longstanding issues: The generated HTML is no where near compliance - causing odd behavior even when the littlest of things is changed; the archiving issues were never addressed; the search engine is subpar; the order of the posts is time based instead of thread based; nntp will never happen; speed tends to come and go; annoying popups seem to be their business model; really long threads tend to abort in the middle (see some of the Bryce stuff on the OOP board); the user control of the L&F is minimal; the html filter makes it hard to post code - especially if the code being posted is html; etc...

Personally, I don't think EZBoard has gotten any better any time recently. Yes, they do fix some bugs, but most of those bugs are the ones introduced by the new versions. What EZBoard does have is a pretty solid backend that can send and retrieve lots of pages. What I wish they would do is make the front end as solid as the back end.

From a zIWETHEY perspective, I find it to be as fast or faster than EZBoard if I only view new messages. It does get quite slow if I try to pull up all of the messages. I suppose there might be a couple of reasons for that:

- bandwidth - as Scott mentioned

- bufferring - not sure but it appears that the entire page is buffered on the server instead of being flushed as it's being generated. If you look at some of EZBoard pages, they take a long time to download the entire page, but you get to see the top of the page before the bottom is completed.

- tables - unfortunately the browsers will not start drawing a table until the entire data for the table is received.

There's also probably a lot of issues related to Zope & PostgreSQL that Scott is probably cognizant of. At any rate, I think the software is useable at this point in time - pretty good for a prototype. I also feel that things will get better and better here, whereas on EZBoard I don't see any progress (actually seems to be regress).
New Re: Fixing bugs...
Most of the speed issues are purely Zope DTML. It's just damned slow.

The Athlon 650 will help things alot, as well as some custom Python code I intend to write.

The pages are buffered, IIRC.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Not me...I'm here for good.
All the important people I want to argue...er, communicate...with [;-)] are here, the performance is better (even with the current bandwidth limitation), and , most importantly, there's competence here. Heck, they even debug your HTML for you here!!!

Why go anyplace else?\ufffd

jb4

(Resistance is not futile...)
New And.. 'they've even noticed re the HTML
.. that *(&%)$# [shift] yada yada for all those tags.. is indeed a PITA (think Wade mentioned noticing).

And I see I'm not the Only one too lazy to [href a] and retype or cut/paste a second copy of the fscking LINK itself, so's it saves that onerous task of.. cut/p it yerself.

So maybe EZ-code variants shall appear in good time. All-in-all minor stuff compared to the nice layout and generally speedy, intuitive Everything. Now all we have to do - is rite stuff worth readin ..

er did I mention lately: Good Show! everyone from Scott, Wade, Jason (and buddies supplying the pipe AND the currently somehat less-than 2 GHz Alpha with RAD, or was that RADIO? Oh: RAID.)

(It'll be fun to send in all the spare old 20 GB HDs lyin around in closets n'stuff, no?)

A.
     How much better is IWeThey plus "z."? Let me count the ways - (drewk) - (14)
         Well - (deSitter) - (12)
             Pokey network connections - (orion) - (9)
                 Keep in mind - (Steve Lowe) - (8)
                     Yep. - (admin)
                     Then we should stick to EzBoard for now - (orion) - (6)
                         OK....You stick with ezBug... - (Yendor) - (5)
                             I'll stick with EzBug for now - (orion) - (4)
                                 Fixing bugs... - (CrisR) - (1)
                                     Re: Fixing bugs... - (admin)
                                 Not me...I'm here for good. - (jb4) - (1)
                                     And.. 'they've even noticed re the HTML - (Ashton)
             Solving the forum problem... - (admin)
             deS - yer beginning to worry me - (Ashton)
         Browsing the bugbase..... - (addison)

Gleefully participating in the heat death of the Universe!
48 ms