IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Specifically
I'm interested in what sorts of doors not having one closes (or having on opens - depending on your world view).

Ever seen someone get a job because they had it or denied because they didn't? What kind of job was it?

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:35:20 AM EDT
New if you want a job at a gateway store doing tech support
an A+ is required. Of hundreds of jobs requireing one only one or two ever hit the paycheck I wanted. On the other side with your quals, an A+ indicates that you understand hardware as well as writing code which is a huge plus in some environments.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Carpe Dieu
New Re: if you want a job at a gateway store doing tech support
which is a huge plus in some environments.

You think?

-drl
New yup I know lots of great programmers
whos basic skill set was so ignorant of hardware constraints their code sucked mud. I didnt want to learn programming. I had to in self defence to indicate to programmers that platform/memory and IO restrictions mattered. The compiler didnt do it all for you.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Carpe Dieu
New What Bill said.
It's a very low-level screening tool - if you can't pass that test, they shouldn't trust you with a screwdriver.

I don't know that it ever got me a job, but I'm sure it didn't hurt to have it at the bottom.

OTOH, I have a feeling that an MCSE would be worth a lot more.
After 9/11, Bush made two statements:
1. "Terrorists hate America because America is a land of freedom and opportunity."
2. "We intend to attack the root causes of terrorism."

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.
New My experience with it
a Help Desk job that I had would pay 25 cents more an hour if you had A+ certification. But then they only paid $9/hr to start with anyway. They would pay 50 cents more an hour if you had your MCSE. Also 50 cents more an hour if you spoke Spanish for their Spanish speaking hotline. I got hired without the A+ certifcation.

In some cases I think it just means that you will earn more than people without it. But there are other jobs that will require it to screen out applicants.

My former boss wasn't impressed by certifications, he claimed all the answers were on the Internet anyway and anybody could pass their tests, so he wouldn't authorize us to get certified or even encourge us to get it on our own.

"If you're going to cheat, cheat fair. If there's anything I hate it's a crooked crook!" -Moe Howard
     Anyone know anything about the CompTIA A+ certs? - (tuberculosis) - (8)
         Take the gig - (broomberg)
         I have one, fwiw... - (inthane-chan) - (6)
             Specifically - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                 if you want a job at a gateway store doing tech support - (boxley) - (2)
                     Re: if you want a job at a gateway store doing tech support - (deSitter) - (1)
                         yup I know lots of great programmers - (boxley)
                 What Bill said. - (inthane-chan)
                 My experience with it - (orion)

Boogle!
73 ms