IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tom Levenson: More Geekenfreude.
http://www.balloon-j...ore-geekenfreude/

[...]

By contrast, as the Michael Scherer’s piece I quoted yesterday describes, the Democratic cyber-team spent 18 months just to build the essential infrastructure of a usable meta-database and developing the software tools that would allow the Obama team to exploit that information for use in different settings throughout the active campaigning season.

And then there’s this, by Steve Lohron the NYT’s Bits Blog:

Another truly important change was in the technology itself. “Cloud computing barely existed in 2008,” Mr. Slaby said.

This time, the Obama campaign’s data center was mainly Amazon Web Services, the leading supplier of cloud services. The campaign’s engineers built about 200 different programs that ran on the Amazon service including Dashboard, the remote calling tool, the campaign Web site, donation processing and data analytics applications.

Using mainly open-source software and the Amazon service, the Obama campaign could inexpensively write and tailor its own programs instead of using off-the-shelf commercial software.

“It let us attack and engineer our own approach to problems, and build solutions for an environment that moves so rapidly you can’t plan,” Mr. Slaby said. “It made a huge difference this time.”

[ETA: by contrast, the Romney development process, again, as reported by Ars Technica’s Sean Gallagher [h/t commenter dmislev]:

To build Orca, the Romney campaign turned to Microsoft and an unnamed application consulting firm..

[But there were] a series of deployment blunders and network and system failures. While the system was stress-tested using automated testing tools, users received little or no advance training on the system. Crucially, there was no dry run to test how Orca would perform over the public Internet.

Part of the issue was Orca’s architecture. While 11 backend database servers had been provisioned for the system—probably running on virtual machines—the “mobile” piece of Orca was a Web application supported by a single Web server and a single application server. Rather than a set of servers in the cloud, “I believe all the servers were in Boston at the Garden or a data center nearby…]

Open source. Build it yourself. Don’t had over your wallet to a consultant and take (allegedly) turnkey delivery days or weeks before chequered flag goes down.

[...]

Amazon must be grinning from ear to ear now. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Heh, I just posted this in Software & Applications
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Rofl. Recursion!
     Management konsultant karma - (rcareaga) - (7)
         WTF!? - (drook) - (2)
             Re: WTF!? - (boxley)
             SOP, here at least. - (Another Scott)
         Good comment on the BJ thread - (drook)
         Tom Levenson: More Geekenfreude. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Heh, I just posted this in Software & Applications -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                 Rofl. Recursion! -NT - (Another Scott)

Toto... I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...!
96 ms