IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ok already.
Its not just compared to any other Linux distro. The comparison is to every other OS I've ever installed. So there is a different philosophy at play here. Great. Acceptable even.

And trust me. Ouch once. Feet are now wet. You can bet I won't be doing that again. For me, that won't exclude Debian. For alot of folks that probably wouldn't be true.

Like I said. I'll take a look at piggy. If that handles some of the more benign aspects of actually getting an OS to a functional form by the end of the initial install routine...great. I would end up recommending >that< instead of the bootstrap - apt-get routine because it would be more akin to something they've dealt with before.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New "For alot of folks that probably wouldn't be true."
The thing is, Debian isn't really for the inexperienced, exactly because the install is so funky. More proof of Ross' assertion that Debian is a mind-game for dweebs, if you want to take it that way. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: "For alot of folks that probably wouldn't be true."
More proof of Ross' assertion that Debian is a mind-game for dweebs, if you want to take it that way. ;-)

And who has time for this?
-drl
New I didn't say the assertion was true.
Just that you might use it as proof of such. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New But it could be...
..because maintenance and program installation >are< so simple...give it a good installer and it wouldn't have to be relegated to "the experienced"
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New BBBBBBbut....
If it was installable and maintainable by "mere" non-experienced... We'd lose our Snobbian/Dweebian/Deb-O-Snob handles...

Now we *CAN'T* have that.
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----\nVersion: 3.12+\nGAT d+ s+:++ a C++++ UBHLO++++ P+ L+++ E---/E---- W+++ N+ o--\nK--- w--- O+ M+ V-- PS-- PE Y+ PGP++ t+ 5++ X+ R tv+ b+++ DI+++\nD++ Q2+++ Q3A+++ UT+++ UT2K3+++ G e* h--- r+++ z+++*\n------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
New Don't worry.
I'll always call you a snob ;-)

New gfolkert wields his new WoMS:
The euphemistic *shun*

Yeah I got yur "SNOB" right hear Buddy!
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----\nVersion: 3.12+\nGAT d+ s+:++ a C++++ UBHLO++++ P+ L+++ E---/E---- W+++ N+ o--\nK--- w--- O+ M+ V-- PS-- PE Y+ PGP++ t+ 5++ X+ R tv+ b+++ DI+++\nD++ Q2+++ Q3A+++ UT+++ UT2K3+++ G e* h--- r+++ z+++*\n------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
New Hey greg, new install question (new thread)
Created as new thread #99636 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=99636|Hey greg, new install question]
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New ObLRPD: This is untested and you're my guinea pig.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Ok Debian Lovers. :-| - (bepatient) - (42)
         IIRC, picking the 2.4 kernel in dselect - (tseliot)
         Feh. - (pwhysall) - (37)
             Or do what Peter said. :-) -NT - (admin)
             Don't "Feh" me. - (bepatient) - (35)
                 Feh - (kmself) - (34)
                     My point in the overall bitchiness... - (bepatient) - (29)
                         +5, Insightful;. -NT - (static)
                         Why Debian's installer "sucks". - (pwhysall) - (27)
                             Possibly - (bepatient) - (26)
                                 Okay... - (folkert) - (25)
                                     Ditto, with a few additions: - (admin) - (24)
                                         Right. - (bepatient) - (23)
                                             Re: Right. - (deSitter) - (5)
                                                 All you have to do, is really try the thing. - (folkert)
                                                 Begone, vile thing. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                     Re: Begone, vile thing. - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                         Riiiiiiight. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                             Mostly.. - (deSitter)
                                             I am NOT defending the install. - (admin) - (10)
                                                 Ok already. - (bepatient) - (9)
                                                     "For alot of folks that probably wouldn't be true." - (admin) - (8)
                                                         Re: "For alot of folks that probably wouldn't be true." - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             I didn't say the assertion was true. - (admin)
                                                         But it could be... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                             BBBBBBbut.... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                                 Don't worry. - (bepatient) - (2)
                                                                     gfolkert wields his new WoMS: - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                         Hey greg, new install question (new thread) - (drewk)
                                                             ObLRPD: This is untested and you're my guinea pig. -NT - (admin)
                                             Some illumination, perhaps. - (static) - (5)
                                                 Re: Some illumination, perhaps. - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                     When was the last time? - (folkert) - (2)
                                                         Traditional = MesoMIPic Era - (deSitter)
                                                         Sun OS came on a tape in '86. More recent on CD - (hnick)
                                                     I deliberately didn't mention any vendor Unix. - (static)
                     Yep, the "piggy" install is really worth a shot, Beep. - (a6l6e6x)
                     I take direct exception. (new thread) - (folkert)
                     Tried Piggy - (Steven A S) - (1)
                         Root password recovery - (kmself)
         Hey, this hurts! Then don't do that... ;-) - (admin)
         Re: Ok Debian Lovers. :-| - (rickmoen) - (1)
             Keep reading... - (bepatient)

If you realize that this is the result of 35 years of continuous development across a wide range of compute platforms, there's a certain sense to it. It's internally consistent with its development history. Not that it doesn't suck.
75 ms