IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Depends on your definition of uptime
I worked at a company where the IS department used uptime numbers to prove that Windows NT was more dependable than Unix, Tandem and IBM. They just tweaked the definition. For example, they didn't count all the downtime of Windows boxes due to the PLANNED weekly reboots (EVERY NT server was rebooted every week to minimize unplanned crashes). They didn't count downtime required to install new software or hardware on Windows boxes. They wouldn't count Windows downtime due to crashes outside of a 9-5 workday (well, these boxes aren't for 24x7 work...) Etc.

Brian Bronson
New No KIDDING!!!!
To be honest, I had a Windows NTv4 server up and running for 423 days straight (the real kind of uptime *I* like to talk about) running Oracle 7.2.1. The boxen did auto maintenance on Oracle, and other things like defragment the NTFS volumes as 1 time a day, among other things. Basically Garbage collection 3rd party tools to help with the "common" NT Problems.

But, it crapped itself when a Hardware Raid Array went south. Therefore the end of the world for that machine, being a 4-way PentiumPro 200MHz with 1MB cache each Processor and 2GB Memory (4-Clock Parity/ECC - iffn you interested).

That was just before I left GRCC. They replaced the machine with a Single Pentium4 2.2GHz 1U machine.

If they could get W2K3Server to run that long, default install (with security tweaks of course) and Oracle... *I'd* be impressed. Nah, never happen.
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - IT Grand-Master for Anti-President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----\nVersion: 3.12+\nGAT d+ s+:++ a C++++ UBHLO++++ P+ L+++ E---/E---- W+++ N+ o--\nK--- w--- O+ M+ V-- PS-- PE Y+ PGP++ t+ 5++ X+ R tv+ b+++ DI+++\nD++ Q2+++ Q3A+++ UT+++ UT2K3+++ G e* h--- r+++ z+++*\n------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
New I've seen echos of that.
I worked briefly for a (quite small) company where the standard solution was Reboot. I had an interesting discussion with the other IT guy about a Linux firewall he wanted to do that to. I told him it wouldn't make a difference, but he was thoroughly Microsofted, so I did it to show him: it did indeed make no difference whatsoever to the problem. He wisely had nothing to say after I updated the other Linux firewall with up-to-date security patches in under 10 minutes. Without rebooting. Meanwhile the Windows 2K servers took 20-30 minutes to patch. Each. Plus 5 minutes to reboot (Dell 6000 series servers).

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Anticipated W2K3 Server Uptime - (jbrabeck) - (3)
         Depends on your definition of uptime - (bbronson) - (2)
             No KIDDING!!!! - (folkert)
             I've seen echos of that. - (static)

But if you draw a bow, draw the STRONG-est! YEEEEESSS! And if you use an arrow, use the LONGEST! OH YES!!
36 ms