IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Boston Globe with its head up its a..
[link|http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/108/editorials/Terror_from_small_planes+.shtml|Utter fscking lunacy.]
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Re: Boston Globe with its head up its a..
Yeah, I heard about that, but I don't know where the terrorism thing figures into it. As far as I can tell the major reason was Daley's domineering ego and desire to run Chicago like a third-world dictatorship. I can tell you that terrorism factored into no part of the decision other than the PR spin.

Planes were sitting at the airport, unable to take off because he ordered the runway to be bulldozed in the middle of the night.
New He did it because he could.
He's always wanted to shut down Meigs. In 1996 he cut a deal to keep it open until 2026. Obviously, he reconsidered. More than a few people are upset about this. The FAA is none to pleased that he did this and violated several FAR's.

AOPA's helping on the litigation front, but Meigs has probably seen its last arrival and departure of small aircraft.
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

New AOPA should be all over this
Or they're not worth the membership fee.

I honestly believe the thing that probably killed Mike Dukakis's bid for presidency was his statement that commercial aviation should receive preferential treatment to general aviation and how "first come first served" wasn't fair to the airline companies wrt runway use.

But yeah - this has nothing to do with homeland security. If it makes you feel any better - skydiving was suspended too.

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
New Boyer sent a letter.
Haven't had time to look much further than that.

[link|http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-2-056x.html|Boyer's response to The Globe.]

And I don't feel any better about things since you can't exercise your right to foolishly step out of a perfectly functioning airplane ;-)

There's plenty of sky for all of us and we're definitely in this together!
bcnu,
Mikem

Boston Globe with its head up its a.. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
         Re: Boston Globe with its head up its a.. - (cybermace5) - (1)
             He did it because he could. - (mmoffitt)
         AOPA should be all over this - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             Boyer sent a letter. - (mmoffitt)

Could be fun to watch if the chairs aren't bolted down.
69 ms