IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pioneer DVD-ROM
I bought a used computer with Windows ME, first thing I did was wipe it and install Windows 98.

Ooops. (But I don't know if making a full backup would have made any difference, there's so many twisty parts in DVD players.) Anyway, the system recognizes it as a DVD-ROM but ... surprise ... I don't have any software or drivers that can actually *play* any DVD stuff on it.

A Google search has proved mighty frustrating. Apparently no DVD-ROM maker likes to make its drivers or software available on the Web. (Well, mostly correct, Hitachi seems to have some downloads available for their DVD drives.) Media player isn't going to do anything with it, because I don't have a DVD codec.

So where *do* I get something that manages to let me play movies, or decode DVD software? (And no, not DeCSS, every site I tried had only Linux downloads available. :=(
New Look for video card drivers.
High-end cards, particularly the sort gamers buy, often come with DVD software. I have no idea if it's downloadable or not, though.

If you email Pioneer, BTW, they should be able to direct you to who you can purchase some legit DVD playback software off. It won't be very expensive and it'll be the same as supplied in consumer packages of that drive. The OEM drives don't come with such software, BTW, which is why it isn't for download.

And you *can* get DeCSS for Windows; I have it here somewhere. Doesn't play the VOB files, of course.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New That seems pretty bassackwards.
Wade writes:
The OEM drives don't come with such software, BTW, which is why it isn't for download.
I don't get it -- isn't that exactly why it should be available for download?

What interest does Pioneer have in its indirect (via OEMs) customers being dissatisfied with their Pioneer-manufactured drives?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New End-users aren't really supposed to buy OEM drives.
People who buy OEM drives are supposed to already have the software licensed from someone else for sale with the complete PC. End-users are supposed to buy either a complete PC containing the DVD-ROM drive - thus getting the DVD player program anyway - or buy the retail kit which includes the DVD player software license. And costs more :-). The same thing applies to video cards, too.

Wade.

New But once they have it, why not let them be able to *use* it?
I'm not saying they'd have to make someone else's expensively-licensed player software available for free, but:
  • Basic *drivers* should be made available. Why punish those who bought their PC from a shady operator even more?
  • Aren't there "freeware" (or, better yet, "Free") generic players that should work with any drive? (If not, WTF are the drivers for? If not to make the drive "generic enough-seeming" to be able to use any player?)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Ah. I see what you mean.
AFAIK, none of the DVD player software is drive dependant. And while basic drivers are always available if the drive requires it, they have nothing to do with playing DVD movies.

Actually, it's rather like buying an ordinary CD-ROM drive: you don't usually get an audio CD player program with OEM models, do you? Well, omitting a DVD player with an OEM DVD-ROM is the same thing. That software usually comes with a retail version, the OS, or the relevant output device - sound card for a CD drive, video card for a DVD drive.

BTW, the issue of MPEG2 video codecs is a tangle to do with video on computer; DVD players will come with the relevant codecs often permitting more generic programs like WMP to play DVD streams. Again, nothing to do with a specific drive.

Wade.

New Eggzactly
You buy a Soundblaster card, you can download the latest drivers (and even players) from www.creative.com.

You buy a GeForce 3 video card, and you can download latest drivers.

You buy a DVD-ROM, you're screwed.

Nice going, Pioneer.
New Scrambled.
You do not need any drivers to read a DVD-ROM disk with a DVD-ROM drive other than what normally comes with any OS.

You do, however, need an application to watch a DVD movie with a DVD-ROM drive.

In any case, Pioneer were more than willing to direct me to the same vendor who provides the software that comes in the Retail drive box. I'd just have to purchase it.

Wade.

New One that came with my DVD player
Is called, CyberLink "PowerDVD" - adds in the codec atop your basic device driver, which sounds to have recognized the thing.

www.goCyberLink.com is on the install CD.

Seems to work OK, if you can stand the "skins" they imagine are kewl..

Luck,

Ashton
     Pioneer DVD-ROM - (duke) - (8)
         Look for video card drivers. - (static) - (6)
             That seems pretty bassackwards. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                 End-users aren't really supposed to buy OEM drives. - (static) - (4)
                     But once they have it, why not let them be able to *use* it? - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         Ah. I see what you mean. - (static)
                         Eggzactly - (duke) - (1)
                             Scrambled. - (static)
         One that came with my DVD player - (Ashton)

This is immediately dreadful.
104 ms