IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 3c579
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your help. Sorry about the delay.

The EISA Ehternet card is a 3c579 Etherlink III. It's an AUI and BNC card. I've got some BNC cables and a hub that accepts a BNC uplink and 10BaseT connectors, but I haven't tried working out how the connections to the 3c579 would work out. (I do have the 3com manual for it.) I also can scrounge up some AUI to BNC transceivers, so I'll probably go that route and keep everything wired 10BaseT for simplicity.

The PC only has 64 MB of RAM and is maxed out, so I'm not expecting great performance with it.

Thirdly, iffn you can't read CD-Rs on it, I'd do a Net Install. I'd use the boot-floppy method, then see if it *CAN* see the CDROM and CD-Rs. If not, then do a Network "ftp" install (you can provide ftp services right?)

I still haven't checked for sure to see if the SCSI CD-ROM can read CD-Rs. That's next on the ToDo list...

Yes, the other two PCs I have (Win2k and MacOS 8.6) can provide FTP services. The issue with doing it over the network is 1) having a Knoppix distribution that understands the UltraStor card (as I understand the later versions do), and 2) getting the OS to see the 3c579 and getting it wired up.

Are you still offering CDs? If so, I'll contact you via e-mail and throw some cash your way.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott.
New As always:
Send e-mail with the needed and pertinent info I need to "MAIL" you, you CDs. To the address below.

8 Debian Woody v3.0r1 CDs
3 Knoppix "latest"
1 CD with 'Doze stuff on it.

Thar yeah be.
b4k4^2
[link|mailto:curley95@attbi.com|greg] - IT Grand-Master for President
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!]
[link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,857673,00.asp|2004, the year Microsoft develops for Linux ]
Heimatland Geheime Staatspolizei reminds:
The DHS [link|http://www.whitehouse.gov/pcipb/cyberspace_strategy.pdf|Cyberer-Stratergery]. The ultimate in Cyber.
New Danke! Mail sent.
New 3c579 no go. DE-220PCT working under Warp 3 Connect.
Just another update in our continuing saga...

I spent a vacation day fighting with the 3c579 but never was able to get it to work. The activity light on my DI-704P router never blinked when it was hooked up running Warp 3 Connect. The DOS diagnostics seem to indicate the card is OK (it fails on loopback tests IIRC, but I don't have a loopback cable so that isn't unexpected). So I gave up on it and installed the ISA DE-220PCT card I bought for $15 a couple of years ago.

Of course, the driver disk didn't have OS/2 driver .NIF files, and neither did D-Link's web page. Luckily, while IBM's Device Driver Pak web page didn't have one for the 220PCT either, it did have one for the 220P and that works.

Almost immediately after the install and configuration under Warp the D-Link card worked fine. Except for the fact that DNS wasn't doing anything. But that was a minor issue. I was able to set up Peter Moylan's wonderful little ftpd and transfer everything off the Warp machine to my Win2k machine with ncftp (using IP numbers) in a few hours.

Today I got DNS lookups working - I apparently had the wrong DNS server listed in \\MPTN\\ETC\\RESOLV2. So at least under Warp 3, everything's ok with the 486 box. Now just to get a WAP and a wireless bridge so I can shift the 486 into an upstairs bedroom and still have it on the 'net with my 10baseT boxes...

Back on-topic:
I've also discovered that some of my previous Knoppix questions here are answered at the [link|http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixFaq|KnoppixFaq]. I wasn't seeing anything but blank pages there earlier due to Privoxy blocking the pages. But unfortunately, there's nothing I've been able to find about how to get Knoppix to recognize the UltraStor SCSI controller or how to list what things it is able to find during the attempted hardware detection or how to force it to use my hardware. Any pointers?

Assuming I'm unable to get it to recognize the UltraStor controller, my next attempt will be to try to install an old version of Caldera on it (assuming I can find it in my stash). If that doesn't go, I'll install the ISA hard drive interface and 30 GB drive (once I get long enough drive cables) and see what it's happy with.

At the moment, it looks like Warp 3 Connect may be the terminal OS for the box in its present configuration and I'll have to conclude that Knoppix just isn't good for old boxes with obscure hardware. And (if so) that's OK. :-)

Thanks for any tips.

Cheers,
Scott.
     I don't quite know how to say this. (edited) - (folkert) - (26)
         And don't forget ... - (drewk) - (2)
             does it support ReiserFS? - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 why yes...it does... - (bepatient)
         Ob - (kmself) - (1)
             obLRPD: [C:\\]_ -NT - (static)
         Greg, Greg, Greg. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Indeed. There's more to punctuation than the ellipsis. -NT - (admin) - (2)
                 ObPedant: Ellipsises. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Whoops, typo, not intended to be plural. -NT - (admin)
         Vast improvement :) - (pwhysall) - (9)
             C'mon, he's just trying to cash in on the box/Ashton cachet -NT - (tseliot) - (8)
                 Huh? Greg and BeeP are the only two... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     I'm guilty from time to time... -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Depends on the definition of over-ellipsoid posters ... -NT - (hnick)
                     I just meant the 'train of thought' crowd -NT - (tseliot)
                     I dunno... I'm certainly guilty... -NT - (imric)
                     Why... - (bepatient) - (1)
                         ... -NT - (kmself)
                     'Twas a sloppy near-miss, above. - (Ashton)
         Gauntlet(throw). - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Okay. Here goes. - (folkert) - (5)
                 3c579 - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     As always: - (folkert) - (1)
                         Danke! Mail sent. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     3c579 no go. DE-220PCT working under Warp 3 Connect. - (Another Scott)
                 K 3.2 CD written. Boot floppy written. But no go. :-( - (Another Scott)

The annual lizardfall in the Monterey preserve of California approaches 4,800 lizards per acre per year.
64 ms