IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Iraqis shooting at 'em right now
Just now as I'm typing this, they're reporting escaping from Iraqi forces, having blown throw a checkpoint and returned fire on the guards. They're still being shot at, they're being chased.
New I can't watch any more
I'm turning it off.
-drl

(Dm - 2Am)(Rmn + 1/2gmn R + 1/2Fmn) = 0
New Re: I can't watch any more
I think they got hit by an RPG.
-drl

New But was it entertaining?
After all, that is the point of news these days.
The soldiers are there because that was in the orders they were cut.
The newsies are there for ratings.
It's good to keep track of these things...
New No
It was gut wrenching. This guy is a longtime war correspondent - he was doing what he does.

He was being chased and shot at - then there was a "bump" and the camera just stopped. Last time I remember something like that, I think it was Leo Ryan in Jonestown. I was sure they were nailed by an RPG - apparently not.

It was not entertaining. I don't want to get that feeling again.
-drl

New Then don't watch
War is not and should not be a spectator sport.

I find it more gut wrenching to trivialize war into nice 15 second dramatic clips, than a willing participant getting killed or injured while doing 'what he does'.

This is not heroic behavior. This is stupid hotdogging in the interest of sensationalism. Could have been a great story; in ahead of the troops, great combat shots of the assault, great stories at the bar afterward, bonuses. Way cool. If it didn't work out that way, fuck him if he can't take a joke. He *WANTED* to be there. My sympathy is all it should be.

You can always vote with your wallet. Don't watch.
New Gotta go with hnick on this one ...

That foray into Tikrit wasn't bravery it was a massive ego trip. Also could be considered highly irresponsible.

The only diff I can see between what they did & those who base jump etc: (thrill-seek), is that the adrenaline high may have been off the scale.

Cheers

Doug

Spectres from our past: Beware the future when your children & theirs come after you for what you may have been willing to condone today - dsm 2003

Motivational: When performing activities, ask yourself if the person you most want to be would do, or say, it - dsm 2003
New Ditto, here.
If the Iraqi APC he climed up on to play with machine gun and its ammo was booby trapped and blew up, he would not have had much sympathy from me.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
     CNN Shining - (deSitter) - (12)
         And if they'd been shot . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
             Re: And if they'd been shot . . . - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Re: And if they'd been shot . . . - (deSitter) - (1)
                     I'm shaking like a leaf - (deSitter)
             Iraqis shooting at 'em right now - (tangaroa) - (7)
                 I can't watch any more - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Re: I can't watch any more - (deSitter) - (5)
                         But was it entertaining? - (hnick) - (4)
                             No - (deSitter) - (3)
                                 Then don't watch - (hnick) - (2)
                                     Gotta go with hnick on this one ... - (dmarker) - (1)
                                         Ditto, here. - (a6l6e6x)

I see you're making a vacuous presentation!

Would you like help with this feature?

49 ms