IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New stay hungry
More on this subject:
With victory in Iraq assured, hawks outside and inside the Bush administration have begun taking a notably aggressive stance towards its neighbor to the west, Syria.

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, and their main ideological ally at the State Department, Undersecretary John Bolton, have all made menacing public remarks about Syria in recent days.

Wednesday, Rumsfeld said Syria was harboring lower-level members of Saddam Hussein's regime. He said Syria had ignored his warnings not to help Iraqi militarily and, in response to a question as to whether Syria was "next," said ominously, "It depends on people's behavior. Certainly I have nothing to announce."

One intelligence source with good access to Pentagon civilian authorities said that Rumsfeld last week ordered the drawing up of contingency plans for a possible invasion of Syria, and that Pentagon Undersecretary Douglas Feith is working on a policy paper highlighting how Syria's support of terrorist groups is a threat to the region.

[link|http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1865~1316124,00.html|http://www.oaklandtr...5~1316124,00.html]

(burp!) And after the Sudetenland--Poland! (Yes, I know, this is going to draw outraged tut-tuts and the usual I'm-getting-tired-of-these-snide-Third Reich-references-George-Bush-doesn't-speak-German-hell-he-can-barely-speak-English reproaches--but, still, isn't it a bit early to draw up the seating arrangements for our next feast while we're still gorging ourselves on this one?)

cordially,
"Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist."
New Better start learning how to say "Syriur"
..as in, "Syriur has nukular weapons."
-drl

(Dm - 2Am)(Rmn + 1/2gmn R + 1/2Fmn) = 0
New Implications for U.N.?
Granted that its as yet a rumour........I still find it interesting
to contemplate.

I know Syria has for a time been implicated in supporting terrorism,
but one really has to wonder just how much this is driven by them pissing
us off with their participation in smuggling Iraq's oil in defiance of
U.N. resolutions.

The institution is going to seem even more irrelevant than it has been
if one member of the Security Council attacks another.

This would I suppose at least serve to expose the mockery which is the inner
dealings of the United Nations. Syria sits on the security council.
Article 23 of the UN Charter states that states are to be voted onto the council based on their "contribution to international peace and security".
Which is palpably absurd in the case of Syria.

Its going to be very interesting to see how the other members of the Security Council (esp. France) will respond. On the one hand...raising objections will serve to reinforce the animosity of late......but if they don't.....they end
up looking very silly. A passionate objection to invading Iraq ...... but indifference to Syria is how it will be painted by many.

And while this is going on........we'll all be cooperating nicely over the
reconstruction of Iraq. Right?

"My purchase of a Hummer was inspired by our 1991 Gulf War victory. After this war, I'm buying an aircraft carrier."
(The Onion)
New Re: Implications for U.N.?
I know Syria has for a time been implicated in supporting terrorism,
but one really has to wonder just how much this is driven by them pissing
us off with their participation in smuggling Iraq's oil in defiance of
U.N. resolutions.

Syria was on the PNAC list of countries to destroy or muzzle from the start. It is a source of terrorists, has a vile government, doesn't line up to follow US economic plans and is powerful enough to be a (minor) threat to US plans for world domination. That puts it way up the list of targets.

This would I suppose at least serve to expose the mockery which is the inner
dealings of the United Nations. Syria sits on the security council.
Article 23 of the UN Charter states that states are to be voted onto the council based on their "contribution to international peace and security".
Which is palpably absurd in the case of Syria.

Might be the case in theory but it has never been remotly related to reality. In reality the permanent seats where granted based on relative posistions at the end of WWII, and the rotating seats added in later when the demands of the rest of the world got to loud to ignore.

If the US moves towards a quick war here, I expect opinion to harden against the US quickly. Many governments that did support this war did so against the popular opinion in the country. Another war is liable to see some government put out of power if they try to back Bush. Heck, this war may yet see one or two governments (other the US) voted out of power over the war.

We may even end up in the posistion of having to veto an anti-war resolution ourselves. It may end up proving the importance of the UN as it could serve as a forum for leaning on the US by the rest of the world.

Its going to be very interesting to see how the other members of the Security Council (esp. France) will respond. On the one hand...raising objections will serve to reinforce the animosity of late......but if they don't.....they end
up looking very silly. A passionate objection to invading Iraq ...... but indifference to Syria is how it will be painted by many.

I'm more interested in seeing which way Blair jumps on this. He has specifically promised that Syria is not a target of military force. Unless something happens (or is staged) that makes previous promises irrevelent, he is going to be in a lot of trouble. He had to push hard to hold together support for this war, another war is liable to destroy his government.

Jay
New Do I smell a contest coming on?
Guess.. the first week's rhetoric:

rolling out the next Squeaky Wheel on the Axle of Sin.. needing a grease job.

Some possibilities, as history be my guide re what works -

1) American settlers in the Danzig corridor are being repeatedly assaulted by Syrian commandos who steal their daughters and return them weeks later, in burkhas - each clutching a copy of the Kuran. These then become suspiciously respectful of their elders - and do not bare even their midriffs; neither do they sulk, swear or whine. Mind control has been alleged. Our Daughters!

2) Anschluss between the People's Republic of Iraq-and-Amoco, Inc. and Syria - an idea whose time has $urely come - is being resisted by reactionary members of the Syrian ruling cabal. This despite the pleas of the population for cultural assimilation.

3) Former members of the Hussein government are said to be collaborating with Syrians in a program of kidnapping innocent American students - in Europe for summer studies. Reports have surfaced of: confiscation of their rap CDs and enforced listening to concerts wherein oudists play Islamic religious themes. These students are stripped of their GameBoys and are forced to live in sex-segregated housing, for *weeks* at a time!

4) Catholic Churches near the Syrian border report a massive leafletting campaign against their church and its religious practices (referred to as, "a Weapon of Mass-Destruction"): the ultimate aim of these Syrian religious fanatics!

Press Release Day 3:
How much Longer can the peace-loving Murican Peepul exercise forbearance in the face of these daily provocations !? The new Iraq-Am ambassador, Mr. Kenneth Lay - has been instructed to present a Bill of Attainder to the Syrian government, demanding suitable recompense for the atrocities against Muricans and allies.

Unless this government hears from the Syrian Government by noon tomorrow, a state of ____

Syria next? - (Mike) - (6)
         stay hungry - (rcareaga) - (4)
             Better start learning how to say "Syriur" - (deSitter)
             Implications for U.N.? - (Mike) - (1)
                 Re: Implications for U.N.? - (JayMehaffey)
             Do I smell a contest coming on? - (Ashton)
         Plans are being prepared - (JayMehaffey)

The annual lizardfall in the Monterey preserve of California approaches 4,800 lizards per acre per year.
99 ms