I have to see this as yet another try at creating a Moslem superpower by force of arms. The invasion of Kuwait was very strange, and in my mind must have been linked not only with taking control of the Saudi oilfields, but even more importantly of the Saudi holy places of Mecca and Medina, and thus provide a rallying point for islamic supernationalism, around which a de facto Islamic superpower could form with nukes, manpower, financial assets, and, with a potential reach from Morocco to Indonesia, and from Nigeria to Kazakhstan, a stranglehold on the world's oil supplies and a dominating position over some of the most populated and productive areas of the world. The coalition that defeated Iraq was made possible I think by the realisation by arab leaders that Saddam would be in charge of them if he got what he wanted. This time the aspiring "leader" is not so obvious and some may hope to gain advantage by going along with the project.

I believe the outline of a similar goal is becoming visible here -- create a totalitarian anti- or at least un-western superpower using islamic fundamentalism as the tool to rally support. The continuing search by islamic countries to develop weapons of mass destruction (Pakistan has had them for many years, but were not so influenced by fundamentalists as they have been recently) is a prerequisite for a superpower. The most important countries to "get on board" because of their population and technological and scientific capabilities would have to be Egypt and Pakistan, and both certainly have powerful fundamentalist movements capable of exerting strong influence (that's a euphemism) on their governments. We really need to get people to understand that a holy war waged on behalf of such terrorists and thugs would a crime against Islam -- but is this possible?

Giovanni