IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New DSL PPPoE goes down once in a while on DSL Routers
When I had DirecTV, the router and DSL modem never went down. I didn't use PPPoE, just the Static IP setting. Now SBC is my new ISP and uses PPPoE. But every day or two the connection goes down and I have to turn off the DSL Modem and DSL Router for 60 seconds to get the connection back. This did not happen before with DirecTV DSL.

Is this normal for a PPPoE connection? It appeared to do this when the DSL Modem was attached to my Windows 98 machine directly as well. I have since removed all PPPoE drivers and SBC software from the machine and set the Router up. It is a DI-604 DLink router. It has the latest firmware as well.

When it happens, the Router keeps trying to connect and then disconnects from the DSL Modem. I can see the Ethernet light blinking when it does this. The DSL Light is on, and the Activity light is not blinking.

SBC uses a different DSL modem, a Speedstream 5360. I used the cables that came with the modem for the connection to the phone line and the Ethernet to the DLink Router.

SBC does not do router support over the phone, they always refer to the router OEM to handle the support. I have the settings set right, it works most of the time, but there are times that it just cannot get an IP address and loses the connection and needs to be powered off for 60 seconds and then powered back on. Sometimes doing that doesn't fix the problem and it is getting annoying.

Any ideas?

"Bill gates cannot guarantee Windows, so how are you going to guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton to the Emperor of the Scarrans on [link|http://www.farscape.com|FarScape]
New www.dslreports.com
There are forums there for specific locales and services - you can probably find somebody experiencing the same issue in your area.
There are 11 types of people: those who know binary, those that don't, and those that think they do but don't.
New Re: www.dslreports.com
I checked it out, thanks. I made a post there and will expect a reply.

"Bill gates cannot guarantee Windows, so how are you going to guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton to the Emperor of the Scarrans on [link|http://www.farscape.com|FarScape]
     DSL PPPoE goes down once in a while on DSL Routers - (orion) - (2)
         www.dslreports.com - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Re: www.dslreports.com - (orion)

No such job.
146 ms