I generally just yank the motherboard, CPU and memory, and often the power supply, and replace them with another set (I just don't have time to screw around). The problem often goes away after this.

Well, that's what we did. Replaced the power supply first, then the memory which the old motherboard wouldn't take, so replaced the motherboard with a new one, tested the old memory and put in both sets to make 512. The only part of what you said, that we didn't replace, far as I know, was the CPU. I don't think we did that.

We then use the parts internally to confirm if they have problems or not. The amazing thing is how many times no problems crop up and the parts give years of flawless service, especially if they are dispursed separately, but in some cases the whole set has run just fine. I ascribe this to slightly different power supply voltages or other things that influence internal timing.

we suspect either the software or OS, I have whole threads in here about it, but it's been over a year and the problem isn't fixed, so John is about fed up. Plus, it seems to be worsening fast.

Thanks for your input though, Andrew. Hehehe, my computer Tech friend is named Andrew, and I named Andrei after him. :) I wish he hadn't moved to TEXAS. Sigh.

Nightowl >8#