IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I have a one word answer for this guy.
Emphasis Mine

A study last year by Meta Group Inc. in Stamford, Conn., found that 55% of IT workers with mainframe experience are over 50 years old. Conference attendees, such as Gerald Tucker, the data center operations manager at Foster Farms Inc., one of the largest poultry operations in the U.S., readily agreed with that finding. But he isn't sure what to do to fix the problem.

Linux.

bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
New Nah
We've got stuff that will NEVER leave the mainframe, no matter how hard I try.
New Besides, the idea that linux
is the solution for every problem is just as dumb as the idea that Windows is.

Right tool for the job, and for some jobs mainframes are very very good.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Because
mainframes and their operating systems were designed from the ground up to handle hundreds if not thousands of users concurrently. Raw horsepower crunching numbers, like bank account statements. Operating systems so "limited" to the average hacker that no one has ever written a virus or trojan for any of them. No mucking around with a GUI - just a plain command line, batch command files, etc., keep the lights running 24/7/365.

But any PHB can replace their mainframe with dozens, if not hundreds of servers running Windoze, and then paying for all of the networking people, sysadmins to keep it all running, etc. Get Linux and user fewer people, but you have to figure out how to port all of your applications over to new software. At least COBOL has been bulletproofed over the past 4 decades.
lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL/Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New As IBM and others see their frames get inroaded
they up the speed and and lower the price. having been exposed to JCL for the first time last year It took a pair of smart hands and 2 days to figure out a complex jcl process and fix it. Its not that difficult. Of cource debugging is not programming but any competetant programmer should be able to program in any given language if there are manuals available in their native language.
thanx,
bill
will work for cash and other incentives [link|http://home.tampabay.rr.com/boxley/resume/Resume.html|skill set]

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]

Since corporations are the equivelent of human but they have no "concience" they are by definition sociopaths
New ?
Never is a long time.

Why not? Because it's screen vs. stream oriented?
-drl
New Not a tech issue
More of a people one.

Simple matter of payback for the investment.

The MF keeps on getting cheaper. Every 3 years
we get a new one, and it costs less than the old
one while running a bit faster.

We have a huge amount of legacy code that would
cost FAR more to move to something else.
We have dozens of people who know and love it,
who have been running the business for many years.
We have many "systems", groups of programs that
run on it.

My job is to grab the low hanging high CPU stuff
and port it to Unix, but that will just leave
more CPU cycles for the rest of the stuff that will
ALWAYS run on it.
New Yes yes yes
whatever.

I went to a tech incubator session in Denver a couple weeks ago and the aerospace guy was saying something similar - that the average aerospace engineer is in his late 50's and there aren't enough in the pipe. Blah blah fucking blah.

I wanted to raise my hand and mention that there might be at least one engineer in his late 30's if Martin Marietta hadn't laid off a certain recent college grad in the 1991 because of lack of seniority when the post starwars budget cuts came.

Cry me a river asshole.

"Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes.
Contestants in a suicidal race."
    - Synchronicity II - The Police
     Fascinating.... - (cforde) - (10)
         Hmmm. Perhaps Cobol and JCL cert -NT - (tablizer)
         Good slashdot threads - (broomberg)
         I have a one word answer for this guy. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             Nah - (broomberg) - (5)
                 Besides, the idea that linux - (jake123) - (2)
                     Because - (lincoln) - (1)
                         As IBM and others see their frames get inroaded - (boxley)
                 ? - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Not a tech issue - (broomberg)
             Yes yes yes - (tuberculosis)

We know better than to wear plaid and stripes together.
97 ms