IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Windows resource memory is very limited
you can add as much RAM as you want to, but it still only allocates a small amount of RAM to resource memory for the desktop icons, GUI, etc. Not every program releases this memory as it should, so after running things for a bit, it can get low on system resource memory. Due to DOS legacy issues, this area of RAM is under the 640K mark, so you could add in Gigabytes of RAM and still have the same problems.

Best tips are to close out a program when you are done with it and reduce the clutter of icons on your desktop by placing them in folders and rebooting after the resource memory gets low. That is the only way I know of reclaiming low system resource memory. Also by reducing the number of programs that load up when Windows starts, will reduce the resource memory used. I suspect you have many programs starting up with Windows. Run MSCONFIG from the RUN Menu and see what options you get for Windows 98 to select the programs you want to start up with and deselect the ones you don't want starting up with Windows. Click on the "Startup" tab and see all the checkboxes there. Every checkbox is a program that Windows runs as it starts up. If you reduce these, Windows will also start up faster. But some you may need, like Antivirus background scanners, your scheduler, your event reminder, etc. So be careful of what you check off. Don't get rid of ScanRegistry, because it is helpful and can check your registry for errors. Don't get rid of Winmodem, if you have a Windows Modem. You can check off Yahoo Pager, and only run it as you need it. That will save some resource memory.

Microsoft was supposed to fix this "feature" in future versions of Windows, but to the best of my knowledge they have not done this yet. It still exists, but it isn't as bad in Windows 2000 or XP, as it is in Windows 98. In Windows 98 I have to reboot it every two days to reclaim resource memory, otherwise things get all wonky, blue screens, fatal exception 0E errors, etc.

"Bill gates cannot guarantee Windows, so how are you going to guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton to the Emperor of the Scarrans on [link|http://www.farscape.com|FarScape]
New Re: Windows resource memory is very limited
you can add as much RAM as you want to, but it still only allocates a small amount of RAM to resource memory for the desktop icons, GUI, etc. Not every program releases this memory as it should, so after running things for a bit, it can get low on system resource memory. Due to DOS legacy issues, this area of RAM is under the 640K mark, so you could add in Gigabytes of RAM and still have the same problems.

Okay, that's interesting. Thanks for explaining that.

Best tips are to close out a program when you are done with it and reduce the clutter of icons on your desktop by placing them in folders and rebooting after the resource memory gets low. That is the only way I know of reclaiming low system resource memory. Also by reducing the number of programs that load up when Windows starts, will reduce the resource memory used. I suspect you have many programs starting up with Windows. Run MSCONFIG from the RUN Menu and see what options you get for Windows 98 to select the programs you want to start up with and deselect the ones you don't want starting up with Windows. Click on the "Startup" tab and see all the checkboxes there. Every checkbox is a program that Windows runs as it starts up. If you reduce these, Windows will also start up faster. But some you may need, like Antivirus background scanners, your scheduler, your event reminder, etc. So be careful of what you check off. Don't get rid of ScanRegistry, because it is helpful and can check your registry for errors. Don't get rid of Winmodem, if you have a Windows Modem. You can check off Yahoo Pager, and only run it as you need it. That will save some resource memory.

I assure you, there is not much that starts up. ;) John has removed all the unnecessary programs from the startup button and directory.

We do not have a winmodem, we have an external US Robotics v.92 modem.

And I open YIM on my own, it does not ever start up with Start.

Microsoft was supposed to fix this "feature" in future versions of Windows, but to the best of my knowledge they have not done this yet. It still exists, but it isn't as bad in Windows 2000 or XP, as it is in Windows 98. In Windows 98 I have to reboot it every two days to reclaim resource memory, otherwise things get all wonky, blue screens, fatal exception 0E errors, etc.

Okay, well that is some help. Do you know what GDI resources stand for? And I'm still trying to figure out what on earth MINI is. ;)

Nightowl >8#

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."
Linda Ellerbee
New GDI and MINI
Microsoft says it is the Graphic Device Interface:
[link|http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/wingdistart_9ezp.asp|http://msdn.microsof...gdistart_9ezp.asp]

The Microsoft\ufffd Windows graphics device interface (GDI) enables applications to use graphics and formatted text on both the video display and the printer. Windows-based applications do not access the graphics hardware directly. Instead, GDI interacts with device drivers on behalf of applications.

I think what it does is makes a "what you see is what you get" image from the video to the printer, as well as control graphics and formatted text on the windows themselves. If you are using formatted fonts, or the web pages you are visiting are using customised fonts and graphics, this memory will be used.

MINI, my best guess is that it is Mini-Windows:
[link|http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/tshoot/drvspace98/info/DsMn_WndwsFl.asp|http://support.micro.../DsMn_WndwsFl.asp]

Mini-Windows is a special operating mode used for sensitive operations such as DriveSpace.

When DriveSpace restarted your computer, did you see a screen with two pie charts and a message stating that your drive is being compressed?

"Bill gates cannot guarantee Windows, so how are you going to guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton to the Emperor of the Scarrans on [link|http://www.farscape.com|FarScape]
     Questions about Resources... - (Nightowl) - (5)
         Sorry, but most of my expertise is in another system - (jake123) - (4)
             Re: Sorry, but most of my expertise is in another system - (Nightowl) - (3)
                 Windows resource memory is very limited - (orion) - (2)
                     Re: Windows resource memory is very limited - (Nightowl) - (1)
                         GDI and MINI - (orion)

As you wish.
38 ms