IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rescue workers should have been held back
According to [link|http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1540000/1540044.stm|experts in building architecture]. The WTC performed beyond expectations by standing for over an hour after being hit. But sending in rescue workers was a mistake and the rescue coordinators should have known better.
New No.
It wasn't a mistake.

They had to go. Same reason we've got to forget about sifting for evidence as we look for people.

It might have stood up, and then people would be pointing the finger and saying "Why weren't you in there?"

Look at the police in Columbine.... waiting hours for nothing.

They did the right thing. And many paid the price.

They wouldn't have not gone, even had you told them the risk - they certainly knew it.

I suppose its a worthwhile discussion, but I can't help but think that it belittles the courage of those men and women to second guess their devotion.

There's more bravery in this tragedy than can be counted... its the sort of bravery that the hijackers were emulating, but not possesing.

Addison
New There's also the hindsight factor
In the minutes following the attacks, it would also not have been clear that these were two planes fully loaded with fuel for a trans-continental flight. Especially the first one - the fire, from the camera angles I saw, looked bad but not necessarily out of control. The second one, of course, with the enormous fireball and (later) fire obviously creeping down the structure - well, even then, what the article says wouldn't have been blindingly obvious.

But the towers' ultimate collapse was inevitable, as the steel cores inside them reached temperatures of 800C - raising questions as to why hundreds of rescue workers were sent into the doomed buildings to their deaths.

How many of these firemen were structural engineers? How many of the policemen were structural engineers? How many of the people on the scene knew much about the actual construction of the building? Did they have experts in steel core design buildings on the scene? Did they have the original architect and/or construction managers on the scene?

Nobody expected the building to collapse. What is so damned obvious to Professor Knapton doesn't seem to have been obvious to anyone at the scene.

If it was obvious to Professor Knapton, where was he when the firemen and police were sent in? Oh, that's right, he's a professor of structural engineering at Newcastle University, UK - they didn't have the benefit of his sage advice anyway.

And, in any case, even if warned the buildings were "inevitably" going to collapse in a couple of hours, I think you're right - they would have gone in anyway.
That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment to use arms in defense of so valuable a blessing [as freedom], on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion; yet arms ... should be the last resource. - George Washington
New Speaking as a former firefighter...
First, the attitude that just about every emergency rescue person (firefighter, paramedic, police officer, etc.) I've ever met pretty much would have required them to be climbing stairs until the Point of No Return. For if they could have saved Just One More Life with their efforts, then their efforts were well worth it.

Second, every fire department (especially one as well-run as FDNY) knows the ins and outs of every special building in their district. I have every faith that every firefighter in the city of New York knows about the special construction qualities of the WTC buildings.

They might not have been thinking about that foremost at the time, but it had to have been a part of their training. When I was in fire school as well as during the couple of years I spent on the squad, we did weekly training exercises. I'm completely confident that FDNY did at least as much.
-YendorMike

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by the skeptics or the cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need people who dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
New Maybe, maybe not
I'm sure they knew about the special sheathed construction of the towers. They probably also knew that the towers had been build to withstand the impact of a jet plane - and, at the time, it would not have been clear what size or type the planes that rammed the towers were. Add to that the fact that the towerrs were still standing after the impacts - aha! the towers were living up to specifications.

What nobody seems to have known or anticipated was that the fire would be so hot that the steel would melt. Again, nobody anticipated the collapses. It takes some expert from England to analyze the "obvious" and "inevitable" danger of collapse for us?

As much as they might have had refresher courses and had high-rise fighting training and known the peculiarities of all the major structures in the area, I don't think they or, apparently, any one except this professor in England had any clue it might collapse.

Isn't one aspect of firefighter training an emphesis to take no unnecessary risks? If you're dead, you can't help anyone. Of course firefighters take risks every time they answer an alarm. They take risks just driving down the street trying to get there, and horrendous risks in fighting the fires. But they're calculated risks, not suicidal risks. Or so I've been told.

I still believe they had no idea the towers would or could collapse. I've seen the videos of firefighters fighting ordinary fires in ordinary houses - when the thing is about to collapse, they do pull back, don't they?
That no man should scruple, or hesitate a moment to use arms in defense of so valuable a blessing [as freedom], on which all the good and evil of life depends, is clearly my opinion; yet arms ... should be the last resource. - George Washington
New Welp, gotta eat crow
I've been reading articles about how they called in a priest to give them the last rites before they went in. That's not the actions of someone engaging in a calculated risk.
New Not a calculated risk?
An important aspect of calculated risk is that you do what you can to cover all bases.

I'm not really up on the finer points of Catholic theology. If you get the last rites, and then haven't the good grace to die promptly, is there some kind of karmic penalty?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Different sort of risk
If I understand it correctly, Catholic priests don't normally give last rites to people who don't expect to die. These people, apparently, thought they were going to die. That's not a firefighter's "calculated risk" type of thing. It's a "I'm going into harm's way and I don't think I'll survive" type of thing.
New No karmic penalty
Last Rites (which we are now supposed to call "Annointing of the Sick") is not reserved for the dying, and not one of the one-shot sacraments.

Asking for the sacrament doesn't imply that you think you are checking out. But it does imply you have death on your mind.

The (grossly oversimplified by someone who hasn't given it all that much thought) idea is to connect your current or upcoming crisis to that of Christ. It is encouraged, and there is no shame or penalty for using it when the situation turns out not be lethal. Some people use it for illnesses that are just very unpleasant and not terminal.

Unless there is a custom among firefighters that I'm not aware of (not at all unlikely) it isn't something they would do for a routine fire. On the other hand, it doesn't imply a suicide mission.

----
sig suspended until I get my sense of humor back
New karmic penalty?
I...um...didn't think Karma was a part of Catholic Theology, either...
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Sure it is.. just different wording
As ye sow, so shall ye reap

Sometimes Christians remind me of the earlier Russians...
Da tovarishi - Mother Russia invented the airplane.. and also theology - also thought

:-\ufffd
New Embrace & extend?
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]

What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New karmic penalty?
I...um...didn't think Karma was a part of Catholic Theology, either...
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
     Rescue workers should have been held back - (tuberculosis) - (12)
         No. - (addison) - (11)
             There's also the hindsight factor - (wharris2) - (10)
                 Speaking as a former firefighter... - (Yendor) - (9)
                     Maybe, maybe not - (wharris2)
                     Welp, gotta eat crow - (wharris2) - (7)
                         Not a calculated risk? - (marlowe) - (6)
                             Different sort of risk - (wharris2)
                             No karmic penalty - (mhuber) - (4)
                                 karmic penalty? - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                                     Sure it is.. just different wording - (Ashton)
                                     Embrace & extend? -NT - (kmself)
                                 karmic penalty? - (Fearless Freep)

I'd interracially copulate with an alien at this point, and take it to breakfast even.
53 ms