how do these countries get that way in the first place? What is it about the people that they allow things to come to such a state?

I've known Russian Jews, and I've seen the haunted look in their eyes. I haven't been where they've been. I've been down that road, but not as far. I've known repression and fear, but not to that degree. I know that when confronted with the more moderate forms, there are two ways you can go: resist or submit. Both may be futile. Both lead to pain. The question becomes: which type of pain can you more easily accept?

I'll take getting beat up repeatedly over not being able to bear facing myself in the mirror. In fact, I've made that choice a few times. More recently in life, I've chosen getting fired over kissing ass or consenting to lies.

I haven't yet put my life on the line in a cool, calculating fashion. Well, actually I have risked my life on several occasions, but not in that frame of mind. Actually, my life would have been at risk either way, but I chose the more immediate hazard. I grew up in one of the less free corners of a free country, amongst people of a certain ethnicity, of which those Palestinians on TV remind me vividly. This is one American who does not take freedom and safety for granted.