IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dumbass Houston Cops Top Themselves
They're setting out cars that "capture" car thieves:

[link|http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/1804971|http://www.chron.com...ropolitan/1804971]

Is there a cop on Earth with even a half-working brain?

You know, they should also install one of those fake whores who is really a kinky cop in the passenger seat. It never hurts to pile on charges.

(Of course this idiotic program will do absolutely nothing to deter car theft. Unfortunately, the criminal element is far smarter than the Protect, Serve, and above all Cover One's Ass element.)
-drl
New Re: a half-working brain?
Not in Texas. Remember, unlike the entire country, Texas elected Dubya. What holds for the majority of voters in Texas, certainly must hold for the majority of cops in Texas.
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
New That's not new
I've been seeing that for years. As long as they don't leave it open with the keys in, I don't have a problem with it. If they do, I'd call it "attractive nuisance."
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New I thought other cities have done this
in the past 5 - 10 years. Idiots still fall for this trick because their greed overpowers their rational thought process. It's entrapment, but the victim has to be a willing participant.

I have always thought that cops posing as hookers to catch guys out looking for some action was just plain wrong. Prostitution is legal in Amsterdam, and their annual number of sex crimes is way below that of major cities in the USofA. If a guy has to pay for some physical gratification, what's the problem? No problem in Nevada.

lincoln
"Four score and seven years ago, I had a better sig"
[link|http://users3.ev1.net/~bconnors/resume.htm|VB/SQL/Tandem resume]
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New not just Houston
The technology has proven successful in more than 100 cities.

and I don't see a problem with it
Police track the stolen car's path by computer. After honing in on the vehicle, officers can remotely kill the engine, preventing any risk of a high-speed pursuit, and can bar the doors and windows, locking the thief inside.

"It is not entrapment, because we are not giving anybody any incentive to steal the car -- we're just making it available," said HPD's Rodriguez, who has a law degree. "We're not asking people to steal the vehicle, we're not giving any reward, not giving any enticement."

No thief nabbed with bait cars in Minneapolis between 1997 and 2001 raised the entrapment argument, said former Minneapolis police Sgt. Jolene Lindner, now working in the private sector for a bait car equipment provider. All Minneapolis defendants pleaded guilty, which Lindner attributes to the video and audio equipment.

in regards to the criminal element is far smarter than the Protect, Serve... - are they really?
The decoys are so effective, unsuspecting thieves have hit the same cars repeatedly.

Care to clarify why you have a problem with this program, or is this just another excuse to bash Texas?

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Re: not just Houston
and I don't see a problem with it

Of course not! Everybody just loves it! Did RealTV finance this?

Stings like this are just ridiculous. Even when it works, it's just wrong. Fighting crime isn't fishing.
-drl
New seems like fishing
they don't always catch the guy, and sometimes when they do catch them they'll be "tossed back" on a technicality :-)

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New also
No, I read the Chronicle a lot, so I see all the Houston stories. I think I started reading it when you posted a link pointing there. So no, that's not against Texas, it's about Mickey Mouse shit that will have no real effect. I decided I should post a recurring theme kind of thing about all these abuses. At the same time as all this "let's get on Cops" bullshit is happening EVERYWHERE, there are little things like terrorism and local civil defense that need to be addressed.

I don't really want to go to Texas, but I have no reason to bash it in itself. I like to think of the old Texans and all that. My favorite CW book was written by a Texan. Audie Murphy was a Texan. I might like it there. I'd go to Neptune if people would straighten out their thinking.
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter March 5, 2003, 07:37:07 PM EST
New no problem
I've see enough Texas bashing that it gets old real quick. I know when out-of-state family and friends visit for the first time they're pleasantly shocked to find that Houston's not the "hell hole" they'd been lead to believe. Sure we have some problems, but what place doesn't.

One of the morning radio shows was talking about how the east/west coast media seemed to put a negative slant on Texas during the Columbia coverage - apparently most of the people on national interviews were "hicks" (heavy drawl, coming across as slow/dimwitted, etc) while those on the local stations where more typical of the average person.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

Expand Edited by SpiceWare March 6, 2003, 12:49:19 AM EST
     Dumbass Houston Cops Top Themselves - (deSitter) - (8)
         Re: a half-working brain? - (mmoffitt)
         That's not new - (drewk)
         I thought other cities have done this - (lincoln)
         not just Houston - (SpiceWare) - (4)
             Re: not just Houston - (deSitter) - (1)
                 seems like fishing - (SpiceWare)
             also - (deSitter) - (1)
                 no problem - (SpiceWare)

Would you not set your wheelchair for Warp Six and head for the hospital parking lot like a hunted thing just as fast as your skinny grey tires would carry you?
60 ms